whats the cause of my kitten red swollen anus?
Hi, I have recently just got my 8 month old male kitten desexed and vaccinated just over a week ago...
He goes outside around 3 hours a day. And yesturday I noticed he had diarrhoea so I have kept a eye on him and
Its continued today twice... I noticed this morning liquid and poo stuck around his anus and tail so I cleaned it with a cloth and he didn't like this one bit.. then I checked this afternoon/evening and there was more and I tried to clean it and he wouldn't even let me near so I put him in the sink to try and remove it and that worked but then I noticed how swollen and red it was and I also check before he went to bed and he is also leaking dark brown smelly liquid.. I
have also started giving him small amount of wet food...
oeone please help? Is this dangerous? Its really starting to worried me and the vet isn't open till Monday? What can I do?
the red swollen anus is because to the diarrhea......he could be having a reaction, did you change him to wet food in the last few days or just today?
If the change in food happened abt the same time as the diarrhea started that its most likely the food change....a rapid change in diet can cause diarrhea. but this sounds pretty severe. ....he shouldn't be leaking this 'dark brown liquid' If this continues I would phone your Vet clinic, they always have someone on call even on weekends...or a Veterinary ER.
keep up updated♥
I agree 100% with what opus88 said. Stop the moist food, as your cat may be reacting to it by having diarrhea. Try another brand that doesn't cause this problem.  Keep in mind that diarrhea will quickly dehydrate a cat, and cats don't drink enough water to keep them hydrated--hence the need for moist food. Hopefully you can find a happy balance of what to feed you cat.  I feed my seven Science Diet Hairball dry food and Fancy Feast moist (1/2 can per day per cat).  When I tried other cheaper brands like Friskies, etc., they caused horribly smelly feces and diarrhea in some of them.

Melissa
I noticed your post was made in June.  Because I've run into a similar problem I wanted to connect with you if you have time.

I am experiencing the same thing with one of my kittens.  All 3 were born healthy.  At about 4 weeks, when the weaning process usually starts, I started giving them solid food.  1 especially immediately had difficulty with the pooping and the anus became swollen/red and painful.  I have been applying polysporin and that is helping but the problem isn't totally solved as yet.  He continues to eat (very well), drinks, and plays to beat the band.

I am interested to see how things turned out for your kitten.  I have read about difficulties with the glands beside the anus.  Did that happen to be the problem?
hi...sure I always have time to try and help a kitty :) welcome.
so are you saying that this kitten has diarrhea? if so that is the cause of the swollen red/painful anus....how old is the kitten now?  I hope at 4 weeks they were all still nursing too? they need the colostrum from mommys milk as long as possible..
how long has he/she been eating solids? give me a reply to these questions so I can understand better ok.
Oh and stop with the polysporin, cats/kittens lick themselves and this stuff sure isn't meant for ingestion..ok