Cats Community
will mannitol help this kitten?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

will mannitol help this kitten?

Hi, I recently decided to adopt a kitten from a cat rescue organization. They say that about a month ago he fell from his cage and onto his face, and the vet says he has brain damage. He also has a clouded over eye, but they say he always had that problem (I've decided to name him Kumo- japanese for cloud). They also say that he had problems before he fell, but we believe that him falling is what caused his problems. I've heard that mannitol helps cats with brain trauma, but will it help a kitten whose trauma occurred a month ago? I am willing to adopt him no matter what his care requirements will be, I just hope there is a way to make him healthy again so he does not have to live with a brain problem. He does not seem to be in any pain. He doesn't purr or anything though, he just lays there slack when you pick him up. If put down, he just sits and bobs his head a little. He also drools but that may be normal. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!
first of all I want to give you a huge pat on the back for taking in a kitty thats going to need some extra TLC...good for you, this little guy needed a good loving home...

I have limited knowledge with your questions, but if you do read back in our 'archives' you will find many owners who have experienced remarkable recoveries even months after an injury.

I will send you a website from a Veterinarian that perhaps can answer some of your questions....on the 2nd or 3rd page it does mention mannitol and states its used for edema(swelling)...IMO after a month there wouldn't be swelling now, but only a Vet. can tell you that for sure, its worth it for Kumo to have a good exam and opinion.

good luck, please stay with us on the forum and keep us updated...we'd like to keep hearing how Kumo is doing...(((>^.^<)))

http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/avhc/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=675298&pageID=1&sk=&date=

Mannitol for medical use is available only by prescription and by injection.  It acts as a strong diuretic and laxative and can kill a cat if not very closely monitored.  I may be helpful if intracranial pressure from fluid on the brain has been diagnosed, but that requires some very specific diagnostic examination and testing.  Brain trauma is not something you want to treat by experimentation.
Thank you guys. Right now his stool is being tested for microorganisms as the foster home where he is has several cats with diahrrea, and they can't find the cause. As soon as he's cleared I'll be taking him in. He has been responding well to kitten formula! If he's encouraged he eats some solids, and I've been told he loves the seafood kind. I went out and bought some kitten formula and seafood flavored cat food. I can't wait to get him! (:
Risa615 i hope everyone enjoys the ... Comment
LandM2009 commented on photo
LandM2009 commented on photo