Cats Community
worried:cat losing hair by licking/itching and seems skinny :(

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

my 10 yr old cat is MY cat and baby out of 3 cats we have and will sleep with me and was usually fairly active .we got a puppy that ended up being "mine". she is always in my room as well, and sleeps w me on the bed every night.  my cat has been losing a lot of his hair/itching/licking back a lot and seems skinnier. he eats and uses litter box as he should.  the 3 other animals were itching badly so we washed them all last week. the other longhair cat was badly bitten and she has gotten a lot better but he still doesnt seem himself.  he was confined to top of this long bench i have for awhile bc he didnt like the dog and she was constantly w me in my room. i think he is very jealous over my affection towards her. he just now has been allowing her to be closer to him and behaves a bit better around her, will sleep on opposite sides of the bed if i put a barrier in between them. i am wondering if his losing hair/itching/licking and seeming skinny is just stress  from the dog being around me/him a lot. i dont have the money to bring him to the vet but i hate to see him suffer bc he is heading towards baldness in affected areas and really seems skinny.
when did you get the puppy? have you noticed fleas? flea bite allergy causes alot of the symptoms you are describing esp since now all the cats are itching too.
I would do a real good exam of dog to start with, look for little tiny black specks...esp when you use a fine comb.
if this is the case all your animals will need flea treatment also all the bedding...and household.
this can get to be rather serious with cats especially....yes they will literally lick and pull themselves bald. than fleas lead to tapeworms thus the weight loss....
get a good med and shampoo avail from your Vet, all the pets will need to be treated...than your home..
good luckā™„
need a vet  BAD----------  sorry 4 cat
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/RESOURCES-TO-HELP-PAY-FOR-VET-CARE/show/1301863?camp=watch_list

By the way, Opus wrote this page.  Try the Care Credit.  You apply, then when you are approved, you go to the vet.  If you have some kind of lock on your credit, though, unlock it first, before trying to apply or you will be denied.
FB. thx for including that link....however another member told me recently that most of the clinics offering this have since d/c these resources due to a decline in the economy....isn't that WHY they were needed in the first place????
If anyone has tried and found this out and can verify it please let us know...hopefully not all have been d/c???
The clinics round here in CA do still treat any animal and will let you pay off the bill , I don't have to do this but am continually helping by telling  folks with sick animals  'go get the treatment needed ,and they will let you pay it off' The cat is in discomfort ..just do it ...good luck hope hes okay .
BTW that link was originally copied by our dear friend ZodiacQueen, so cannot take the credit...ZQ we miss you!!

thanks Margy for letting us know there are still some caring clinics out there that will help out....does anyone know of one in Va to help this poor kitty out????

pammypoo52

1 hour
I have a feral cat with a broken jaw and can't afford a vet bill was wondering if anyone had any idea how I could attemp to help him. I called the vet they want to run test before they fix his jaw and want 250.00 for test and then said it would probably be another 500.00 and we don't have that kind of money  for a feral kitty. I take care of 29 feral kitties but it hurts when one of them are hurting so I want to try to do something for him but am at a loss as to what to so so if their is any one outtheir with any help please let me know. I can't even find a vet that will let you make payements we live in such a rural area in Va.

if so, find her original post and let her know....thx
thank you for your comment!! yea i knew fleas had become an issue we did the drops and collars i called the vet and they said those dont really work and to give them baths to rid the fleas.. the cats got better but i will look at the dog again... im worried now after your response that the skinny cat does have a tapeworm.. he seems to not be be itching and licking the bald spots but he is just losing hair everywhere. i wouldnt be abe to take him to the vet for 2 weeks when i get paid i hope he lasts til then
look at the link furballsmom put up here a couple of posts back ...
Yes, it sounds like they have fleas. Your cat could also be experiencing anxiety due to the fact that you just got the puppy. Feliway sometimes helps.
i have a cat who is very sensitive to everything. She has to get stroid shots for the itching and we give her a supplement to help keep her more calm. It is added to her water.     Luck...    Kittymom44
I always thought that spring summer is the times when fleas start to move around .Its only January or is it that its warmer than usual ?
You are correct about the usual flea cycle.  But, when my family had dogs when I was a kid, they had them all year.  Naturally, I did what I could to get them off the dog.  I was just a kid, so I didn't have the ability to make independent choices on what to do other than to try to pick some of the vile things off of the black dog.  At least it was fewer fleas that way.  Look up natural flea removal online.  That's how I learned about appropriate use of diatomaceous earth and nematodes.  Never use the stuff directly on the animals, because it will still irritate the lungs.  Always wear a dust mask when applying diatomaceous earth in the household.  It is effective for all sorts of insects, because it works by desiccating them instead of through use of toxins.  Thorough house cleaning, like you would do for bed bugs or for lice is needed.  This does not need to involve toxins either.  Hot water in the laundry is very effective all on its own.  The nematodes are for the yard.  Nematodes will eat fleas, especially the larvae and eggs, thus disrupting the life cycle at the beginning stages.  I don't have an animal that goes out into the grass, so when I followed these steps for flea removal, I haven't had a problem since.

Do NOT use citrus as flea repellent.  It is toxic to both dogs and cats.  Do NOT use garlic.  It is also toxic to both dogs and cats.  Plus, it stinks to the humans.  Both would really only harm the animals and act more as people repellents than flea repellents anyway.
Naturally, fleas are more abundant in the Summer, but due to the warm weather in CA, they are always an issue for our outdoor kitties.  I have tried to give Jade a break from it, but if you notice, we don't exactly HAVE a Winter, with warm, dry weather constantly breaking through, and she always starts scratching right on cue when it's time for her next dose of Frontline (soon to be Revolution) :)
So would Revolution is a good one ? I am not certain frontline plus  worked well..but I am told I cannot use anything else for a month..thats what I thought but we are having strange weather ..
Right, yes, you have to wait a full month.  You could try Advantage next time which is DEFINITELY (lol) sold OTC.  Before I open my mouth about the Revolution, I would need to research, but what I DO know about it, is Petco said they didn't carry it, my vet doesn't carry it, so I will be ordering it from 800petmeds.  Cheaper that way anyway, it got here fast when I ordered it, and no shipping fees :)