Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
10yr old daughter w/chronic stomache pain, celiac?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

My 10 year old daughter has had stomache pain, headaches, fatigue and constant weight gain for years. Since Jan she has gained 8lbs and the stomache pain has become more frequent and lasts longer. We just started seeing a GI Dr. and had some Antigliadin Antibody tests. Labs came back with the IgA at 4 units (ref range is 0-19 units) and the IgG at 93 units (ref range is also 0-19 units). We are still waiting for the thyroid and other tests but the Dr said that the results are normal and it is good to have the IgG high, "we want it to be high" ? She also has very high triglycerides and cholesterol but hdl and ldl are normal. Should I still be pursuing celiac disease and get a second opinion? I know that I need to eliminate more bread and pasta from her diet but overall she eats healthy. There has never been a concern with her weight until now. Last physical was Jan and weight was good. Thyroid, high cholesterol and GI problems are significant on both sides of family. The Dr is ready to brush us off but I do think there is something wrong. Any one have any ideas which direction to turn to? Thank you in advance. :)
Please consider following up on the celiac issue. IMO having high IgG is not good. Make sure you test her total IgA levels. Many celiacs are deficient in IgA and that will impact the result. Also check her transglutaminase and endomysial antibodies. And have her genes (alleles) checked.

And if you haven't eliminated ALL wheat, rye, barley, oats and malt from her diet, please do so. You statement that you know you need to eliminate more bread and pasts from her diet suggests it's not all gone yet. And if it's a gluten containing bread or pasta, she's actually getting poisoned.

Docs aren't great at understanding celiac. But the long term misery from this disease isn't fun and everything possible should be done to make sure that if she's celiac her system is protected from the long-term ravages of the disease.
Thank you so much for your post. I have written all of these tests down and I am going to forward her labs to her pediatrician for a second opinion and possibly find another GI Dr. because they have already made some mistakes with telling me her labs were "all normal" when they are not and I had to go in person to get them only to find out that she is missing a majority of the labs that were ordered. I cannot find anywhere where it "is good" to have an IgG 5 times the high normal. I am not going to give up on having more labs done. I do not understand the disease myself but I am not going to brush it off and I am going to research the diet and foods and agree that it is necessary to change her diet. Due to my GI history and a lame diagnosis of IBS I am going to get myself tested immediately as well, with all of the tests required, and see if it helps with her diagnosis and try to avoid a biopsy. Thanks again.
I have Celiac Disease and sounds like your daughter might have it also. It causes terrible pain and upset plus many other conditions can follow if not treated. She needs to have an endoscopy done to test the small intestines. Good Luck