Are wheat intolerance and Celiac Disease the same?
My sister, who has Down's Syndrome, has been tested for food allergies due to her constant stomach complaints. They all came back negative. Then she was tested for gluten intolerance. All 4 tests came back positive, whatever that means. She lives a distance away, but I am her guardian, so I'm trying to get more info. Every time I do a search for gluten intolerance, it comes up with Celiac Disease. Can you be gluten intolerant without it being Celiac?
hi,

As far as I know..you can be Gluten intolerant but not be Celiac but the treatment for both is the same..to be on the Gluten Free diet..but before starting off on the Gluten Free diet see a gastroenterologist and ask to possibly test for Celiac to be sure that she is not Celiac and only Gluten intolerant.

Question-how was she tested for Gluten?

I had (I took care of it) a gluten intolerance to wheat, but I did not have Celiac disease. My allergist/immunologist who has a Ph.D. and a son with Celiac, told me that yes.. you can have an intolerance to gluten, but not actually have Celiac disease.

If a person has an intolerance, but not Celiac, does that mean no harm is being done to the intestine if wheat is accidentily ingested? I'm concerned that she lives independently with minimal support from the local workshop, and fixes her own meals. I just don't know that she'll be as careful as she needs to be. She will have someone help with grocery shopping, at least for awhile. She's still waiting on her GI and nutritionist appointments before she starts the gluten free diet. Of course, with my stomach problems, now I'm wondering if I should be tested, too.

What do you mean when you say you "had" a gluten intolerance? Do you no longer have it?
I believe it was a blood test that indicated she had a gluten intolerance. I'm anxious to hear more after her GI appointment.
Hi Montana girl,

According to my allergist, an intolerance to gluten will not harm the intestine. However, it will cause many other problems.. and especially when it comes to digestion. Digestion is so important for those of us who have health problems and if we are having trouble with digesting foods, we could end up not getting all of the vitamins & minerals we need. We can also have a "leaky gut" --- which allows bacteria to enter our system.

What I'm finding out and that some physicians already know is many people who have health conditions (Sjogren's, CFS, autism patients, etc.) do better on a gluten free diet. In my case, I was having tingling in my extremities, digestion problems, my fatigue was worse and I felt terrible. I have CFS and didn't even realize that I also had an intolerance to gluten until I saw this awesome physician.

What I believe took care of my gluten intolerance was a research protocol (meds are not research medications though) called the "Marshall Protocol". There are also many other patients who had an intolerance to gluten and/or food allergies that noticed improvement as well. I recently switched to a natural protocol that does the same thing as the MP... it is Dr. David Jernigan's protocol. Dr. Jernigan has been successfully treating lyme disease patients and other chronically ill patients without antibiotics.

Thanks for all the info. Did they retest you for your gluten intolerance? I was allergic (low level) to wheat, soy, yeast, egg, and dairy (in addition to lactose intolerant) and tried accupressure for each of those foods. I no longer have belly aches associated with those foods, but I do still get a cough from dairy, and wonder about the lightheadedness and spinning I often feel. I have not been retested, but I certainly do feel better.

Hi ! They couldn't retest me (since it was an intolerance and not Celiac), but I don't have any symptoms now after eating wheat products.

I'm a firm believer in "alternative medicine". I've had acupuncture done, have tried homeopathy and other things. I'm impressed at how well alternative medicine has helped my condition. No wonder why the Queen of England uses homeopathy. If it is good enough for her... it is good enough for anybody. I know it knocked out my husband's allergy to dairy products.

Was the blood test done by her regular doctor?  I am trying to get a blood test done but my internist said that it can't be done and I think that is bull****.  so disgusted with these doctors.

Please let me know if possible what type of blood test she had done and if my regular doctor can send me to get it done?  I would be very appreciative.

Hope your sister gets help from her doctors.

There is blood test for Celiac disease, but to my understanding it isn't 100% reliable. The only reliable test is a biopsy.

Best,

PlateletGal
I was inquiring about the Gluten test that Montana girl 06 said that her sister did...believe that it was a blood test.  Can a blood test be done for Gluten intolerance?

There is no blood test for gluten intolerance, but there is a blood test (not 100% reliable) for Celiac disease. The only test to find out whether a person has a gluten intolerance (many of them are people with immune conditions), is to have that person go on a gluten free diet for at least 3 weeks. If the person is feeling better... than obviously they should be on a gluten free diet.
I'm going to a meeting for my sister next week where I'll hopefully find out more about the testing they did. It could actually be be the Celiac blood test PlateletGal speaks of that was done. It was a regular doctor that ordered the test.

I called my allergist last week and asked about being tested for gluten/Celiac. The nurse had all my records (indicating my somewhat low, but yet allergic reaction to wheat, eggs, milk, and soy from previous blood tests.) Even though I told her I wanted a Celiac test because my sister found out she had Celiac, she told me I really didn't need one because I can just do the gluten-free diet without being tested, so why bother with the test? I want the test, because I will be far more dilligent if I know I have Celiac than if I know I just have a wheat allergy. So, I called by medical doctor, who I saw just 3 weeks ago, and requested the Celiac test. She set me up and I had blood drawn for it yesterday. I don't know the names of the tests but will find out when I get my results back. I know they did 3 tests and took 3 vials of blood.
I just did a blood test today for Gene Testing to r/o Celiac Disease should be getting the results in about a week.  This is the only test that can be done without being on the Gluten Free diet.  So I guess if I have the gene then I would continue the Gluten Free diet but if it shows negative then am back to square one and would have to go back on Gluten to do the biopsy(like you, I would really want to know, otherwise I don't know what the heck is wrong with me)

Good luck on the results of your blood work.

Thanks for the information and please keep in touch.