Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
B12/ferritin Extreme Drop - Advice Needed
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

B12/ferritin Extreme Drop - Advice Needed

Hi everyone, thanks in advance.

I'll try to keep this short, but I'm basically wondering if my GP is overreacting or not. Here is my sequence of events:

Nov 2009 - Celiac Diagnosis tTG=56 - biopsy Marsh 3B - b12=210 ferritin=60
Nov 2010 - tTG=40 - b12=180 - ferritin=52
Mar 2011 - Addison's diagnosis with low cortisol and high ACTH - started cortisone
July 2011 - Hypopituitary diagnosed with severely low free testosterone and low LH/FSH - started testosterone therapy
Aug 2011 - tTG=286 - B12=151 - ferritin=48
Sept 2011 - tTG=275 - B12=75 - ferritin=19

I started to get really sick and lost 30 lbs in 3 months, so I had a repeat biopsy and tTG in Aug of this year. Endoscopy showed damage has improved slightly to Marsh 3A, but still there, yet tTG is now 286 (normal <20). GI was extremely confused. Endoscopy showed increased IEL and it worded it as "extremely heavy plasma cell and IEL infiltrate, but no definite abnormal cells found". I am waiting for immunostaining to be done to check for refractory, but it takes awhile. AT my age, I'd expect this is not the case.

While waiting I went to my GP and told her I've been having lots of joint pain, nerve type pain and feeling weak as of late. She rechecked my B12 and it was 75 (range 250 - 1000). My ferritin was rechecked too and it was 19 (range 50 - 300). My GP is really concerned with the sudden drop, especially since I am a 25 year old male, so I should be higher. She has called my Gastro and asked him to see my immediately as she said my levels should not drop that fast. I;m not too worried honestly, as I have addison's and autoimmune hypopituitarism (caused low testosterone and LH/FSH) as well, so I know my body is messed up.

Does anybody have any experience like this or knowledge in the area, as help is appreciated. I'm just not sure if her worry is warranted or are these levels not that bad? Any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks.