Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Can someone help interpret lab results?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Can someone help interpret lab results?

My only "diagnosed" disease is Hashimoto's (hypothyroidism-my thyroid is non functioning and full of nodules and does not function), I have suffered for years with IBS and the last 10 years have been bowel and gastro symptoms, and lately vitamin deficiencies, bone pain, and numbness in hands and feet.  I know sounds weird.  I have some labs but it looks like I do NOT have celiac, but just an allergy to gluten.  Is there a difference between a gluten allergy and Celiac disease?  I know the labs are long, but I would really appreciate any input.  Here goes:

A) Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel Complete *Best test/best value
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA:    57 Units

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA:    98 Units

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score:    Less than 300 Units

Fecal Anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA:    17 Units

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1:    0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2:    0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ   2,3  (Subtype 2,7)

Interpretation of Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA (Normal Range is less than 10 Units):  Intestinal antigliadin IgA antibody was elevated, indicating that you have active dietary gluten sensitivity. For optimal health, resolution of symptoms (if you have them), and prevention of small intestinal damage and malnutrition, osteoporosis, and damage to other tissues (like nerves, brain, joints, muscles, thyroid, pancreas, other glands, skin, liver, spleen, among others), it is recommended that you follow a strict and permanent gluten free diet. As gluten sensitivity is a genetic syndrome, you may want to have your relatives screened as well.

Interpretation of Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA (Normal Range is less than 10 Units):  You have an autoimmune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase, secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity.

Interpretation of Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score (Normal Range is less than 300 Units):  Provided that dietary fat is being ingested, a fecal fat score less than 300 indicates there is no malabsorbed dietary fat in stool indicating that digestion and absorption of nutrients is currently normal.

Interpretation of Fecal Anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA (Normal Range is less than 10 Units):  Levels of fecal IgA antibody to a food antigen greater than or equal to 10 are indicative of an immune reaction, and hence immunologic "sensitivity" to that food. For any elevated fecal antibody level, it is recommended to remove that food from your diet. Values less than 10 indicate there currently is minimal or no reaction to that food and hence, no direct evidence of food sensitivity to that specific food. However, because 1 in 500 people cannot make IgA at all, and rarely, some people can still have clinically significant reactions to a food antigen despite the lack of a significant antibody reaction (because the reactions primarily involve T cells), if you have an immune syndrome or symptoms associated with food sensitivity, it is recommended that you try a strict removal of suspect foods from your diet for up to 12 months despite a negative test.

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing:  Although you do not possess the main HLA-DQB1 genes predisposing to celiac sprue (HLA-DQB1*0201 or HLA-DQB1*0302), HLA gene analysis reveals that you have two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity (any DQ1, DQ2 other than by HLA-DQB1*0201, or DQ3 other than by HLA-DQB1*0302). Furthermore, HLA-DQ2 genes other than by HLA-DQB1*0201 can be associated with celiac sprue in rare cases. Having two copies of a gluten sensitive gene means that each of your parents and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of the gene. Two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity may be more severe.
The only way to diagnose Celiac is through a biopsy.  You can have false negatives as well as false postivies.  My sister was mis-diagnosed for years because the blood test she had showed she did not have Celiac.  Years later and many diagnosed diseases later....Lupus, thyroid disease etc....another doctor performed the biopsy which showed that she did have Celiac which had severely damaged her intestine which was the cause of her acquiring the long list of diseases she now has.  It is very important to find a gastrointestinal doctor who is educated about Celiac to do the biopsy.
Good Luck!
Biopsies are not always that accurate and other tests aren't that great in many cases, either.

But based upon what I'm reading on your test results, you are gluten intolerant and also cross-react to casein, the major protein in dairy. My husband had similar results (although negative on other tests). He went gluten-free and dairy-free and is doing quite well. All the symptoms he had significantly decreased.

If he gets an unknown 'hit' from contamination, he's miserable.
I'm waiting for my results from enterolab, but I'm fairly convinced I'm either celiac or gluten intolerant. I came looking for answers online for my peripheral neuropathy, which was diagnosed a few years ago. It is progressive, very slow, but affects both feet and now beginning in fingertips and moving up my legs. Since my doctor doesn't know the cause and because it's really getting worse, I decided to try to find the underlying cause myself. Imagine the lightbulb moment when I found that PN is a related disease to gluten intolerance! There's all kinds of info about the connection out there. (Don't get me started on my doctor not telling me this.) I've had digestive problems for years, which I now know are classic gluten reactions. Anyway, I am awaiting results now but went gluten-free as soon as I discovered the connection. I've been feeling soooo much better these last few weeks. Still have the same numbness, but hopefully that will improve.
So lisa, the numbness in the hands and feet could be peripheral neuropathy, brought on by celiac or gluten reaction. From my reading, they say if gluten is eliminated, it's possible for some of the other diseases, such as numbness from PN, to resolve completely or at least get better.

"The DQ2 gene can be divided into two components, called alpha (DQA1*05) and beta (DQB1*02) subunits. Not all labs look for both parts."

I do not see that they tested the DQ8 gene which according to Dr. Fasano, Celiac Research @ University of MD in Baltimore  is also linked.

I am not sure why they are saying the other genes...I haven't seen those ones referenced with regard to celiac.

Have a look at this link...is a good one on genetic testing. I also tested negative for a colon biopsy. I do have dermatitis herptaformaris and was suffering from the bone pain, muscle pain and also have  the numbness. The pain btw has for the most part gone away from eating gluten free. I was diagnosed in Sept '09 and the numbness is getting less and less as well.

Anyways..read this article, I'm sure you will find it helpful.

http://www.livingwithout.com/issues/4_1/celiac_gluten_sensitivities-1063-1.html