Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Candida??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Candida??

After many months of trying my best to maintain a gluten free diet I still feel bad.  Body aches, diarrhea, flu like symptoms, foggy head and others.  I dont think it is possible for a person to eat healthier than I have over the past  months so I'm sure you can understand my frustration at the world since I'm not feeling better.

I was just searching the net for other possible reasons for my condition and was just about to give up when I ran across a page describing a problem called "Candida."  I HAVE ALL THE SYPMTOMS OF THIS AS WELL!  Candida is actually a yeast infection found most commonly in women but men can also get it.  THe major cause of candida is the overuse of anti-biotics which kill off the good bacteria in the gut causing all kinds of intestinal problems.  

I have eliminated wheat, dairy, soy and nuts from my diet and still feel like **** so I am now going to take this route and see if it makes a difference.  A friend of mine is an ER nurse and I called her and she said to take "Probiotics" and the yogurt called "Dan Active" and in two weeks all will be well.  Could all of my health problems be fixed this easily.

After years of doctor appts, tests, more doc appointments and more drugs...could this be my answer.  I'll keep everyone posted.  I'm actually quite excited that God has shown this to me.
I developed a nasty allergy to corn after my diagnosis for Celiac. As we all know most Gluten free foods are made of corn, so my body decided to hate that as well. I get little blisters that start around my joints that itch like nothing I can describe, I also had never ending yeast infections, oral thrush, etc. I react to a large amount  rather quickly and have the reaction for about 1 week. I would watch using the dan active as it is a dairy product. You can get probiotics in pill form, go to your local health food store and they can tell you what to get. For a corn allergy I can't have ANY corn products, corn flour, corn starch, corn syrup, maize flour, most modified food starch, powder in medical gloves, baby powder, etc. Try eliminating it for a few weeks and see you feel. Hope it helps :D

kitty
so what can or do you eat?  Sometimes I too feel like I may need to eliminate more stuff from my diet but don't know what else I should and if I do what would be left for me to eat.

If you eliminated corn and you are Celiac, then what do you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
The problem with the Candida diet is that it is not effective long term because it cannot heal the gut adequately to prevent a regrowth of Candida over time. It is simply designed to starve the Candida of sugars. Unfortunately if you have problems with digestion you will not be able to properly digest the disaccharides found in many of the non-sweet foods allowed by the Candida diet (an example of very low-glycemic foods that nevertheless contain disaccharides are grains like brown rice or buckwheat and legumes like lentils and black beans). Though you may feel better on this diet and for awhile afterward, these disaccharides will feed the Candida and the bad bacteria that is present in the intestines of people with digestive disorders such as Celiac. Many, many people with Celiac struggle with Candida off and on for a lifetime no matter how many times or how long they try the diet.

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet and a dramatic increase in raw foods (such as fruits veggies, nuts, cold-pressed olive oil) is what you need to try. The SCDiet is what many people who do not get better on the gluten-free diet finally have to resort to. (Incidentally it is the first diet created for Celiac Disease). And large amounts of raw food are necessary to restore the enzymes in the gut. (enzymes found in food are destroyed at 118 degrees farenheit).

The MINDD Foundation says this about the doctor who developed SCDiet:

"In 1949 The New York Academy Of Medicine honored Dr. Sidney Haas for years of research and treatment of Celiac disease. He published a very comprehensive medical test, "The Management of Celiac Disease", which was widely accepted. Then in 1951, six English doctors from the Departments of Health and Pharmacology of the University of Birmingham published a different view on Celiac based on a study that tested 10 children. Whereas Dr. Haas recognized Celiac as a sensitivity to disaccharides and polysaccharides, the Birmingham group isolated it to [only] gluten. The Lancet published the Birmingham theory and the more easy-to-follow regimen of excluding only gluten pervades to this day."

Read the following website starting with "beginners guide". This website was created by a microbiologist who worked with Dr. Haas who developed the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Many people with Celiac who do not get better on a gluten-free only diet have success with SCD.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/