Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Celiac Panel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Celiac Panel

I had a celiac panel done, but my pcp doesn't know if there is any significance to it.  Everything came back negative,  IgA, IgG, Gliadin, endomysial IgA...but my Immunoglobulin A came back low..72..normal range is 81>.  

I have read that you can still have Celiac or gluten intolerance and have a neg. test if you Immunoglobulin is low.  I feel better off of wheat, I ate a sandwhich and felt horrible.  Not sure if it is the wheat or the yeast...
Yes you are correct, with a low IgA, the diagnostic accuracy of the celiac panel is suspect.  Under these conditions a small bowel biopsy is the gold standard (not less that 6 samples).  However, if you feel better off of gluten, then probably you have celiac disease or at least gluten sensitivity. Avoiding gluten with the help of a dietitian who specializes in Celiac disease will make all the difference.

GASellers, MD
Yes, all my blood work for celiac disease came back as normal but biopsies taken during an endoscopy showed I had flattened Villi.  A diagnosis of celiac was made.  

But for a diagnosis to be made this way you have to continue eating a diet that includes gluten, wheat, barley and rye otherwise it is possible you will have a false negative result.

Hello, I'm new to these forums.

I recently had lab work done, turns out I'm B12 and D deficient, so I'm getting shots and taking supplements.  I've mainly read up on the D deficient forum, but with some mentioning Celiacs, I wanted to see if I've been tested for it, so I pulled out lab work that was done on 20 Jan.  I also had lab work done on 2 Feb and in the process of getting those results faxed to me.

On the lab work I have in front of me, it's a little blurry from the fax and I'm not really sure how to read it.  I do see the mention of IGG, but I just don't know what exactly I'm looking at.  Is everything under the section "Chemistry", pertaining to the tests needed for Celiacs?