Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Celiac and Allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Celiac and Allergies

I developed stomach and bowel problems after being given too many antibiotics to treat pneumonia, followed by bronchitis.  After being treated by a gastroenterologist, who did many tests, she informed me that I was not celiac.  However, this month I had allergy tests and the doctor told me that I was allergic to gluten.  This makes no sense to me as if I am not celica, how can I be allergic to gluten products.
I have been told that Celiac's is a gluten intolerance, not a food allergy -- Food allergy and intolerance are different, so you may be allergic to gluten without actually having celiac's.  

www3.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodAllergy/PDF/foodallergy.pdf

This publication explains the difference :)

Hope this helps!
I would question what teste the gastro. doctor did to come to the conclusion that you do not have Celiac.  Blood test can be a false negativeor false positive.  The only way to truely rule out or diagnose Celiac disease is through a biopsy.  It is imperative that you get a correct diagnoses and advocate for yourself.  The only way I was diagnosed was because my sister was diagnosed.  Unfortunately she had to acquire many wrong diagnosis before finally finding out what was really causing all of the health issues.  I also agree with the other comment...I have heard of people being sensitve or allergic to gluten without having Celiac Disease.  I guess the difference would be that with Celiac your body actually attacks itself with gluten is ingested making it an autoimmune disease.  With an allergy, you would just have a reaction specific to your body without your body attacking itself.  I will still make sure by requesting a biopsy...it can save you a lot of headache later on....