Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Celiac and Allergies
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Celiac and Allergies

I developed stomach and bowel problems after being given too many antibiotics to treat pneumonia, followed by bronchitis.  After being treated by a gastroenterologist, who did many tests, she informed me that I was not celiac.  However, this month I had allergy tests and the doctor told me that I was allergic to gluten.  This makes no sense to me as if I am not celica, how can I be allergic to gluten products.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1157259_tn?1262463483
I have been told that Celiac's is a gluten intolerance, not a food allergy -- Food allergy and intolerance are different, so you may be allergic to gluten without actually having celiac's.  

www3.niaid.nih.gov/topics/foodAllergy/PDF/foodallergy.pdf

This publication explains the difference :)

Hope this helps!
Blank
I would question what teste the gastro. doctor did to come to the conclusion that you do not have Celiac.  Blood test can be a false negativeor false positive.  The only way to truely rule out or diagnose Celiac disease is through a biopsy.  It is imperative that you get a correct diagnoses and advocate for yourself.  The only way I was diagnosed was because my sister was diagnosed.  Unfortunately she had to acquire many wrong diagnosis before finally finding out what was really causing all of the health issues.  I also agree with the other comment...I have heard of people being sensitve or allergic to gluten without having Celiac Disease.  I guess the difference would be that with Celiac your body actually attacks itself with gluten is ingested making it an autoimmune disease.  With an allergy, you would just have a reaction specific to your body without your body attacking itself.  I will still make sure by requesting a biopsy...it can save you a lot of headache later on....
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank