Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Celiac and green stools

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Celiac and green stools

I have recently had a test for Celiacs and waiting for the results, tmw I have to have a colonoscopy.  I had a redo of a nissen fundoplication.  Since that time (Sep 4, 07), I have been lactose intolerant and every day it seems that I am getting worse with nausea.  I also have alot of diarrhea (?).  I can eat basically meats, fruits, veges and candy and I most of the time don't get sick.  But if I have any bread or wheat product I feel horrible.  I can't vomit due to the fundoplication but I go through the motions.  I also have lost 30 pounds and the surgeon is concerned because I should have stopped losing at 15 pounds at the most. I can't gain weight no matter what I eat.  It's ok though, I can stay where I am that's good.  In the past month though, I've started having light green stools.  They are almost always watery/running (it sounds like I'm peeing but not).  Could that be a symptom of Celiac or something else?  Anyone have any answers or opinions on this.  Thanks everybody.
Watery, runny fecal material can happen with celiac problems as well as with a lot of other GI issues, unfortunately. So I'm glad to hear that the doc is going to test you for celiac disease. Did you have the blood test done or the biopsy?

I'd just like to make one comment, if  I may about both of those tests. If it comes back negative for celiac problems, but you continue to have problems with bread and wheat products, stay on a diet in which you take out everything that has wheat, rye or barley in it. Then take the time to go to www.enterolab.com and read through the information on why the blood test and the biopsy may not be the optimal test to check for gluten issues. There's a test that for whatever reason docs don't use - the fecal antibody test - that is, in my opinion, much more accurate in finding gluten intolerance. If you have that test done and pair it with the genetic allele test, and that says you've got gluten problems, believe it. Those are the tests that helped us finally figure out what was wrong with my husband.

However, having said that, I'd like to get back to your question about the green fecal material. The green or yellowy-green comes from the color of the bile that is put into your system to help digest the fats you eat. When your system is irritated (due to whatever) the whole system speeds up and your food is 'fast-forwarded' through the GI tract and the bile doesn't have the chance to turn to the normal brown color we're used to. It's the product of the change in the bile that colors our fecal material the 'normal brown' we see when our system is working properly.

That yellow-green can also be seen if the gallbladder is not working properly. You can end up releasing a bit too much bile into the GI system and it acts as an irritant to the lining of the GI tract, and food goes 'speeding through,' resulting in either looser stools, or a watery output.

You might want to talk to your doc about the state of your gallbladder and biliary system if this continues, or if you're experiencing an discomfort in the upper right quadrant of your body.