Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Celiac disease blood test Question?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Celiac disease blood test Question?

I was told by my doctor that I have to eat gluten products for 2 weeks before I get tested for gluten allergies. I was then told by another doctor that I don't need to do that. So my first question is, who is right? And my second question is, how much gluten do I have to consume before the test? If I eat a sandwich every day for 2 weeks for example, is the bread from the sandwich enough?Or should I be eating TONS of bread, pasta and pastries?
Thanks.
I don't know how much gluten you have to eat, but if you aren't eating gluten prior to the test, you may get a false negative.  Also, I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in the blood test results even if they are negative, if you know how bad gluten makes you feel.  Keep in mind, too, that you can be gluten intolerant without actually having Celiac.
Oh okie dokie thanks so much!!! :)