Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Celiac with anxiety or anxiety with IBS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Could I have Celiac disease?

I was wondering if I could have celiac disease causing my anxiety/depression or if the anxiety/depression was causing my IBS symtoms (symptoms) to get worse?

On Nov. 20, 2009 I had my Thyroid test (TSH) and my CBC which were all 'normal', but my set. rate was slightly elevated. Please read on for a history.....

I have had IBS symptoms (was never officially diagnosed) for many years. I would get severe pain in my abdomen, gurgle sounds and 20- 40 min later, smelly floaty diarrhea then feel better (albeit drained of all energy). Sometimes it is pure liguid. I thought it was caused by spicy foods, to much junk. So I changed my diet to remove any spicy foods (no sausage, pepperoni, etc) or super greasy foods. I still would eat potatoe chips, and occasional kitkat bar. I lived with the occasional episode ( usually 2-4 time a month)

I also have very bad execma on my ankles (many years now). I put prescription cream on it which helps but it does not totally go away.

UNTIL...3 months ago I had H1N1, and  was hospitalized with Pnemonia (pneumonia), lost 20 pounds, after the Pnemonia (pneumonia) cleared up I was having a slew of new symptoms starting Nov. 20 (Shortness of breath, tingling on upper body, fatigue, muscle weakness, hot flashes, unhappy thoughts, etc). Slew of tests, CBC, thyroid test (TSH), xray, vscan (which all came back normal) only Sed rate was slightly elevated, and family dr said 'Anxiety' go see psychatrist. Went to psychatrist and she sent me to therapist (I do not want meds as the first med CITALOPRAM reacted very very badly with me). Therapist mentioned Celiac disease.  

THE PAST 3 WEEKS: I have had 2-3 painful diarrrhea episodes each week. It seems about every 2-3 days I wake up with pain and wait until it explodes out 20-40 min later.

I decided to stop all caffeine (no more coffee or tea) for the past 3 days. I do not drink any alcohol or soda
For the past few days: I have been having stronger anxiety symptoms (heart pounding, tingling, Hot flashing), feeling depressed all the time, crying, nausea, only eating very limited foods (applesauce, ramon noodles, oatmeal, boiled eggs, toast with peanut butter, bananas, chicken soup- to name a few). Living hour by hour. Also dry mouth.

Could I have 'developed' celiac disease from the H1N1? I have lost 3 more pounds in the past 2 weeks.

My hair is fine and my nails are so short I cannot tell if they are brittle.

My family doc only sees you for 5 mins and then gives a diagnoses so I was wondering if I should just skip her and see a Gastronintestinal dr instead?

I was thinking of just asking my family doc for another round of blood work since it has been 3 months.

ANY advice?
Hi there. Many of your symptoms are consistent with celiac but the only way to know is to get the tests. Start with blood tests and seek a referral to a Gastroenterologist. If you don't feel your doctor takes your concerns seriously then get another one. Your health is too important to ignore. You can be assertive in asking for help to find out what's going on.

The tests to diagnose celiac require you to continue eating gluten so don't change your diet just yet.

I'm not a medical professional just a celiac sufferer but I'd be surprised if H1N1 caused this. If you do have it it's mire likely you always have and it's just been incorrectly labelled IBS.

Good luck on sorting it out.
I will go back to my reg doc for new blood work.

Also, I have a lot of Gas. BIG farts 3-6am. burping all day (which helps relieve the shortness of breath).

Thanks for the reply.
An update:

I had the blood test done and it was negative for Celiac, but my B12 is low (192). Doc says it should be over 300. It seems that taking Prilosec (Proton Pump Inhibitor) for heartburn for a long time can cause a B12 deficiency. I have been on prilosec daily for 9 months. PPI (like prilosec reduce the stomach acid, and B12 needs stomach acid to get into your blood).
B12 defiency is not good!!!
Can cause many symptoms... including low energy, lose weight, diarrehea,  numbness/tingling in hand, feet, depression, Shortness of breath, yellowish tinge to skin, palpitations, rapid heartbeat, etc

Doc forgot I was was on Prilosec (which she prescibed) and tried to prescribe it again.
The reason I went to her last friday was due to yellow skin (2 days the previous week) and 4 weeks of intestinal pain and diarrhea. (liquid). Doc did not ask any questions, just order some blood work (celiac - which I requested, B12 and a few other), ignored my diarreha, since my skin was not yellow that day said it was from eating to many carrots (I have a food diary and have not had many carrots). Prescibed a medicine for High Blood pressure (the nurse took my BP 159/100 before saw doc, and said doc would take it again when she saw me. Doc didn't take my BP). I am looking for a new doc.

I am taking a b12 lozenge 1000 mcg (under the tongue) for 3 days now and my energy has improved greatly. Shortness of breath is gone. Still have jumpy nerves, diarrehea, insomnia and red face (hot flashes). I am also watching my Salt intake to due to the High Blood pressure. I did not realize my diet (lots of soups and Deli chicken) had so much salt and that salt contributes to HBP. Doc said nothing about how to control HBP. I did research on the internet. My BP has been on average 130/85 for the past 2 days

Still do not know why I have so much diarrehea! (sometimes with intense pain)
I would suggest that you go see a Naturopathic Doctor. The symptoms you are describing could be any number of things and it sounds to be like your doctors are doing a bad job of putting them all together. A good naturopath will look at everything together and work with you to see what is causing the problems. It seems that a lot of what you have could be diet related - either celiac or something else. Many people get false negatives on Celiac tests as well. A naturopath will work with you to find solutions and will take the time to educate you about what he or she is doing or researching.

I started seeing a naturopath when doctors weren't doing a good job of answering my questions and it was the best decision I ever made. If you're in Toronto, I can make a great recommendation, otherwise, look up your local Naturopathic Medicine Association.
Thanks for the advice.
I am in North Carolina (Raleigh).
oops forgot: I have been on the B12 for 7 days now and my symptons are almost gone or are mild. Except the diarrehea is now constipation and the hot flashes are mild.
Still going to see a new doc to make sure all is well and have my blood anaylized for Vitamin/mineral levels and folic acid, etc.
it does sound like celiac (the floaty poop part, the gas etc..) auto immune diseases are often triggered by flu shots some believe. You need blood tests for celiac to se if you are positive, then a gastro doc to do an endoscopy to confirm. (they take a biopsy of your small intestine to see if the "villi" are standing up or "flat" if flat, it's celiac) and a gluten free diet is the treatment. It's one of the few diseases that can actually be totally controlled with diet and you will feel much better.