Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Celiac without intraepithelial lymphocytes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Celiac without intraepithelial lymphocytes

Hello, have had stomach pain for past 3 months.  After numerous tests biopsy of small intestine found what was labeled suggestive, not diagnostic of celiac sprue.  Report stated: mild blunting, with mild crypt hyperplasia.  No intraepithelial lymphocytes is seen.  Only one sample was taken.  Is it possible this could be celiac.  (Sample was benign).  Will be taking blood test next week.  Can you have Celiac with no intraepithelial lymphocytes.  Or is it possible it was just this sample and other areas are worse?  Would appreciate any ideas or thoughts.  Low Iron and low normal on most others (calcium/potassium)    
Tags: celiac
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
268911_tn?1213748381
I too have been tested for Celiac sprue with the test reporting negative.  But when I eat bread, pasta, salad dressing..anything containing gluten..my smptoms begin to rage.  Stomach cramps, anxiety, joint pain...all the classic symptoms.  I have also read where it is not uncommon for test results to come back negative.  

My best advice would be....if you feel better after eliminating gluten from your diet that would be your answer.  Good luck.
Blank
352798_tn?1399301754
I started a post on this a week or two ago. You can be allergic to gluten and not be celiac. I am that way. Gluten messes me up really bad. I can't think straight if I eat it. I am almost shut down mentally. Check out the other post. There are other test you can do even without your Dr.
Blank
The blood test may also show up negative. If it does, cross-check using a fecal antibody test. Look at the enterolab website - great lab, excellent test and very reliable. There are many who are misdiagnosed - told they don't have the problem. It's only years later they find out they could have saved themselves a lot of suffering by going gluten-free.

Your biopsy is very suggestive. Not everyone has the 'classic' symptoms, pops positive on a blood test or biopsy. If you don't do the fecal antibody test, but either have one relative somewhere in your family with gluten problems or just feel a heck of a lot better without eating gluten, go gluten-free and save yourself a lot of low-grade, long-term misery.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...