Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Could it be celiac?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Could it be celiac?

Ok im new here and not sure if im doing this right,  I recently had my 3 year old tested for celiac disease through a blood panel.  He has alot of the symptoms, he was on a gluten free diet and it helped alot. He was put back on gluten for only 2-3 days before the blood panel due to the fact that within 3 hours of first having wheat again his symptoms started up chronic diarrhea complaining of his stomach hurting so the doctor told me not to bother with the challenge and take him for the test.  his results were IgA 31.0 IgG 52.7 and transglutaminase AB 1.7 the doctor told me that the IgA and IgG were high but the other was ok... could he still have celiac and the last one was just ok cause he want really on a reg diet for the test? The doctor wants to have the biopsy done but im so confused,,, If ANYONE could help that would be great
thank...
Tags: celiac
You don't have to have the transglutaminase levels high to have celiac issues. This result is very suggestive of celiac and 'allergy' reactions to wheat, rye and barley.

The biopsy is supposed to be the 'gold standard' but it can often miss a diagnosis. If you go ahead and do this and it turns out negative, put your son on the diet and stick to it - he's celiac. You should also have yourself tested.

For both of you, consider doing the gene (allele) test. If he's got the genes and this blood work is positive, why do the biopsy?
when you say the IgA and IgG  were high---what were they high for?  were they just testing his serum levels, or were they testing IgA and IgG levels of something particular?

2-3 days is not long enough to be on the gluten free diet to get  an accurate result---but your son is also young enough that even if he has celiac  he might not even be producing Ttg levels yet.  the test isn't accurate until sometime around the age of 3---which is how old he is---so i don't know how accurate this results would be.

you are in a difficult situation.  if he is doing better on a gluten free diet, i'd go ahead and leaave him on it----you can do a gluten challenge when he gets older.

our family has been part of a celiac study, so we were lucky enough to get the genetic testing done for free.  my husband and i and 8 of my 9 kids are all positive for the DQ2 gene, but celiac disease has only activated in 3 of my children so far.  we have tried to have our celiac girls' Ttg levels tested every 6 months (when we have insurance) to see how well they are doing with the diet.  my twins cheat, but my 16 year old does not.  my gilrs have been diagnosed for 5 1/2 years---so we've been at this for awhile.   when i have blood work, i periodically have them run a Ttg just to make sure things are ok.    we just had to have a Ttg run on my 7 year old because she has a fundo and was complaining of stomach aches and had a couple of bouts of throwing up (she wretches and then spits in a bowl because she can't throw up)  because of our family history and genetic, the ped gi said we had to suspect celiac---but her test came back clear.