Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
DQ2 marker what now does this mean

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

DQ2 marker what now does this mean

Hi does anyone know what this means. I just had the genetic testing completed for Celiac due to my constant stomach bothering me, Hoshimotos and low adrenals. The test came back with the gene for it DQ2 but then it said it was a low level and a #2 on a scale of 1-8 with 8 being the highest. Does this mean I just have gluten sensativity, do I have a mild form of Celiac, or am I just fine and can eat whatever I wish. I am so confused because what I read is that if you have it you have to stay away from ALL gluten not even have a little here and there but must be completely gluten free. Anyone have any idea what my test results mean. I have my doctor calling the lab to check with them since he doesnt know either. Thanks for any help.
Definitely have your doctor talk to the lab and get back with you.  The results are confusing because with the genetic test, it is either there or it isn't (there isn't a level of gene presence).  Was this a blood test or fecal?  

I can tell you what I learned from my genetic test results where I was "Positive" for the DQ2 gene.  The DQ2 gene is the most common gene found in Celiacs, around 95% of Celiacs are DQ2 Positive.  The other gene that is supposed to be associated with celiacs is the DQ8 (and some others, but those are the main two), but I was negative for DQ8 but it is not as much of a concern as the DQ2 gene anyways.  So I doubt they even looked for the DQ8 gene in your test did they?

In everything I have read, and some doctors I have spoken to say this is a very good indicator that I have Celiacs.  This in combination with positive results from a gluten free diet basically confirmed that Celiacs was/is my problem.  However, my doctor at the time basically said that the DQ2 gene meant that I was more likely to develop celiacs at some point, but not that I currently have Celiacs, and that not all people that are DQ2 positive are Celiacs; so wouldn't diagnose it.  The next step was that they wanted to scope me and take biopsies; however I had just been scoped and they didn't look for celiacs, and being that I am 26 I didn't care to have that done again.  Also when I saw how I got so much better when I eliminated gluten, I really didn't care about a diagnosis.

Realize that doctors are very reluctant to diagnose Celiacs, some are unwilling to even test for it.  I can't say for sure why, but there is a combination of factors that would cause a doctor to be reluctant to test/diagnose: 1) Lack of knowledge on the doctors part about the disease and testing, 2) Celiacs does not give the doctors or pharmaceuticals money (it is cured by a simple diet); it does not rely on doctor's visits, regular testing, and/or prescription meds for life.

Talk to your doctor and see what he thinks when he talks to the lab, but the best thing for you to do is to go gluten free - Completely.  Give yourself a few weeks of absolutely zero gluten consumption and see if you show improvement.  I would bet that you start feeling so much better, just like I did.  It is very worth it, and it really isn't hard to do; if you have questions about a food item or brand there are plenty of websites that list gluten free items, or ingredients to avoid, or drinks/foods that are ok to eat.  For me I just went all natural, no processed food to make sure I didn't get any gluten...fish, chicken, beef, vegetables, fruit, rice, potatoes...Its not that bad, and I really do hope that you have found your answer and let me know so I can congratulate you when you find out anything.
Thanks for your info I still have not taled with the doctor however i did talk to someone who is part of the Celiac Disease Foundation here in our area. What you have told me is right on with what she said.

They did a test for both markers I only have one which means yes I can either have Celiac now and be symptimatic which I am or at some point in my life something will trigger it and then will become Celiac.

She told me the only thing to do is go totally Gluten free. It seems overwhelming trying to find alternatives. I am a huge bread fan and the bread out there Gluten free is not very good. She gave me a few tips such as get mixed by Anna and Gluten Free cooking cookbook for dummies is also available. Looks like this will be the path I must take. If I choose to ignore this and still eat Gluten I certainly will not feel better but will also do more damage to my intestines and that could lead to other diseases. Bummer! Thank you for your info you were right on.
No problem, glad you found your answer.  Bread is the hard part because like you said there aren't really good alternatives.  I have found that making your own gluten free bread is better than buying the already made versions; it is harder, but if you want bread that is the way to go.  Once you cut out the bread, and your body "detoxes", your cravings will go away; it is just the first week or so that is really hard.  Keep me posted on how you feel and how long it takes for you to notice a big difference.
I thought i was feeling better the last few days had a bit more energy, my stomach wasn't hurting and was starting to feel like my old self however today i just feel zapped. Is this normal and how long will it take to just start feeling better overall? I feel like I could nap all day long, bummer just when I thought things were turning. It has been 2 weeks and 4 days. I had oatmeal this morning and maybe there is something in the oats, I haven't had them in the past 3 days prior. Thanks for the bread tip. I am going out and buying some bread mix I am salavating for it. Thanks for all your info. It is nice to see I am not alone and other people are going through it or have been down this path.
Oatmeal does need to be avoided, and that is most likely your problem.  Although the oats do not contain gluten, farming techniques and processing often introduces gluten.  Also oats do contain a protein that is relatively similar to gluten.  In most cases when you have a setback, it can be attributed to something you have eaten/drank, and no doubt there will be those occasions.  Sounds like you were starting to feel better and have more energy, and it just gets better from there.  I was getting sick of "setbacks" and finally just ate all natural unprocessed foods for three weeks to be sure there was absolutely no gluten, and that is when I realized how good I could feel again.  During that period I researched alot, and found foods and ingredients to avoid, so that I could slowly and safely add some processed foods.  So for me it was about 3 weeks and it sounds like you are/were getting there in about 3 weeks; just be sure there is no hidden gluten or you may not realize the full effects of being gluten free.