Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Does high Tissue Trans IGA mean it's definitely Celiac?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

My son's Tissue Transglut IgA Ab was >128.
Ref range <=6.9

Total reference ranges:
=10.1 Units/mL Positive

Does anyone have any experience with high blood work like this? Our GI appointment isn't until the end of October and I'm wondering if I should start a gluten-free diet. My son is 13, under 5% for both height and weight.
sorry some of the toal reference ranges got cut off:
    =10.1 EliA Unites/mL Positive
Ok numbers keep getting cut off, but suffice to say: 7-10 EliA Units/mL Equivocal.  >=10.0 EliA units/mL Positive.
High transglutaminse levels can be found in other conditions, so I believe your doc may want to do some more testing. However, if your son has other symptoms suggestive of celiac issues, you may want to call the doc's office and find out if he could start a gluten-free diet now instead of waiting. If the doc wants to do more testing, your son will need to stay on gluten to verify the presence of celiac or other until the testing is done.
Thank you, this is very helpful! I will call his doctor to see about the gluten-free diet. Do you know what other conditions high transglutaminise can indicate?
It is my understanding that high transglutaminase levels can also be found in those with celiac disease, juvenile diabetes, in inflammatory bowel disease and in various forms of arthritis.

You might want to ask your doc about checking his genes and to see if your son is producing high levels of IgA-gliadin.

Some docs feel only the presence of a problematic biopsy with flattened villi and elevated levels of IELs (intraepithelial lymphocytes) are diagnositic. However, it's now being suggested that high transglutaminase, the presence of celiac genes and elevated levels of IgA-gliadin are diagnositic.

Thank you so much! It's good to know what kinds of things I should be asking his doctor. I appreciate your help!