Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Does this sound like Sprue Disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Does this sound like Sprue Disease?

My daughter is about to turn 1.  For the last week or so (and some other times throughout the last 4 months) she has had the NASTIEST poop.  I don't have a problem with poop and it about made me gag.  Its greasy, but not really loose.  A few times (over the weekend for example) her poop was mostly beige (like sand) with a few bits of darker material in it.  We took her off milk for a few days, but no difference.  A little background on her.  She's only on the 3rd percentile for her weight.  She was born at 7 pounds 13 ounces and stayed on the 50th percentile until she was 5 months old.  Since then, she has almost refused to grow and is 17 pounds of pure fury.  She doesn't really act sick other than when she has gas, but...I don't know.  Can you help?

celiac is one of the most common causes of failure to thrive in children.  Though there can also be other food intollerances.  The best way to proceed, if you can't get reputable testing done, would be with an elimination diet to work out what's going on.  Or maybe, even if you do get testing done and it is negative (there is a high rate of false negative testing), still go ahead and try elimination diet.

Going gluten free could be a good start.  Sometimes kids change completely once their diets are changed....

Hope this helps.

Sally
I had also read that celiac children are very hard to wean onto solid foods. Not real sure on that though as I have no kids. I would try to get her sorted out soon though, it can really affect her physical and neurological development :/

kitty