Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Does this sound typical of gluten intolerance?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

I am definately contemplating the possibility of some sort of gluten intolerance... But I wanted to explain whats been happening to see if anyone who has it could tell me if it is characteristic of an intolerance, sensitivity or celiac. So, the trend I am noticing that is increasingly getting worse is that when I eat say one gluten containing food, such as a piece of cake or a bowl of cereal once a day, after about 5 days I have a day or two with constant diarrhea. If I eat more than one gluten food in a day it typically speeds up the process. It's very bizarre. I wasn't sure if this sounded typical because the diarrhea is not immediate. It seems to be the only connection I can find with these diarrhea problems. I had been noticing a couple months back random stomach problems, indigestion, bad cramps all throughout my abdomen but it seemed kind of random so I just ignored it for a while. Now it's becoming a problem... does this sound like it could be a gluten problem? I am really sort of hoping it's not... following a diet safe for interstitial cystitis is difficult enough!
Jess, there's no way to really find a 'pattern' for many individuals who have problems with gluten. It's not a one-to-one relationship between eating gluten and then 'x' hours or days later having bowel habit issues - or other symptoms for that matter. It depends on how each individual's system responds and just how 'decimated' body systems are due to exposure. The only sure thing I can say is if someone starts to clean up their system for a number of weeks and then gets 'hit' by gluten, THOSE effects are almost immediate. I saw that in my husband, and I see it in the individuals I work with who slowly come to understand that gluten is an issue.

I wish it were easier to figure out, but unfortunately..................
As CalGal said, everyone is different with their reactions to gluten. Ipersonally  have  Celiac Disease, and I feel immediate cramping and gas from ingesting gluten. It almost feels as if I am being stabbed in the stomach when I get gluten in my system. But, everyone has different symptoms. so I suggest you get a blood test by a specialist. If you have Celiac Disease there are tests that can show if your intestines are damaged from gluten. Some people who do not have Celiac Disease also have problems digesting gluten, so it all depends on your own reactions.See a specialist and be assertive about what is bothering your stomach, because I know from experience that a lot of doctors will just dismiss stomach problems as "just stress" so don't let any doctors dismiss your symptoms.