Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Enterolab testing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Enterolab testing

I was wondering if anyone has used Enterolab and what your experience was? I am currently researching gluten sensitivity and am leaning towards being tested by Enterolab. The blood tests that are used to detect Celiac disease just seem so flawed.  I suspect I may have gluten sensitivity. I am beyond disappointed with most of the doctors I have seen that is why I am thinking about using Enterolab. Would love to hear anyone's experience.
I have 3 children with celiac disease.  they were diagnosed 8 years ago.  I used to spend a lot of time on a celiac web group.  Listening to people talk about enterolab, this is what i gathered.  The guy running the lab (forgot his name) had so many genes he considered "gluten sensitivity" genes, that you are almost guaranteed to come back with a diagnosis of gluten sensitivity if you use them.   Very few people used them and came back without a diagnosis of gluten sensitivity.  The guy also thought that no one should drink milk---can't remember if he had genes for that,too, or if it was just his personal belief.

Our family was part of a celiac study being done through the University of California, Irvine.  To be included in the study, you had to have 2 or more family members diagnosed with celiac by either a Ttg test or by endoscopy.

They would not accept anyone in to the study who had been diagnosed by enterolab.

I guess my thinking is this, if their stool testing was legitimate and  fairly foolproof---after this many years, somebody else would be doing also---but no one else does stool testing, as far as I know, to test for gluten sensitivity.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give me your input. I really appreciate it!
My husband was helped using Enterolab when no other test pinpointed what was going on.

In the medical setting I am in, we use Enterolab when all the symptoms are clearly sitting there, but the blood tests say 'no way.' In the last 4 years, I can say we've been able to help quite a large number of people that were suffering but had been told by gastroenterologist that 'nothing showed up in the tests.' Enterolab was able to give them an answer of either celiac genes or gluten-sensitive genes and when they changed their diets they didn't care what the 'standard' tests said - they were better and they stayed that way.

We've compared standard blood tests, to biopsies, and the Enterolab tests. I've probably got at least a 100 people who had the standard blood tests that turned out negative for IgA/IgG gliadin. A small proportion of them also did a biopsy - with negative results. When we've asked them to double-check using the gene test - because all the other symptoms were suggestive of gluten issues - and they got back either gluten-sensitive genes or a celiac gene and a gluten-sensitive gene in the result leading to them changing their diet, the results of that dietary change were ENORMOUS and positive.

Check some of the more recent articles about celiac disease and gluten-gluten sensitivity on Medscape. There are a wide variety of opinions on what is known and not known. My opinion - and I believe the opinion of thousands of celiacs and gluten-sensitive people alike - is the Enterolab saved the health and sanity when all else failed.

You'd be doing yourself a favor if you use Enterolab. My husband is a living example.
Thank you, Thank you! I appreciate your input. It is really good to hear a positive experience. I have decided that I am going to use Enterolab. I just need some answers to put this complicated puzzle together. Again, thank you!