Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Excessive malodorous flatulence

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Excessive malodorous flatulence

I am a fifteen year old student suffering from severe malodorous flatulence. I first noticed this problem about a year ago. It first started with a lot of gas. Mainly during school this year I have noticed much more of this. I don't experience the sensation of passing gas but based on the expressions and comments from the people around me I realize that I am releasing very foul smelling gas. I desperately need a solution to curing this problem. Is there anything you can suggest that can help me get rid of this? Do you know what is causing this in the first place?
Avatar n tn
You should get checked for Celiacs and also get off dairy to see if that helps. I had horrible gas before I quit gluten.

I hope this helps,
achilles2
Another possible cause is sugar alcohols.  If you eat a lot of sugar-free things, watch out for sugar alcohols to be added.  Many people have strong reactions to these.  They are words that end in -itol, like sorbitol, mallitol, etc.

I agree that dairy is a frequent culprit also.  
I know this was posted a while ago but I too suffer with gas. Would you say a gluten free diet would help this problem?