Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Fatty Liver

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Fatty Liver

My 7 year old daughter was admitted to children's hospital after an episode of vomiting for 12 hours, not accompanied with diarreah (diarrhea), little or no fever, slightly elevated wbc. She was extemely dehydrated, CO2 was 11, her numbers were bottomed out.  She had URQ pain upon palpatation that warranted a CT scan.  CT came back normal with the exception of a hypodense fatty liver.  This is a 47 lb 7 year old who is otherwise healthy. She is in the lower end of the growth chart, so was I and her father, she is just petite.  While in the hospital she  passed some urine with a peachy color creamy like sediment, which very well could have been from being dehydrated, however that warranted more tests that have not come back yet. Her urine has returned to normal.  After 4 days without a bowel movement she finally did and it was tested, had some fat.  Our pediatrician called a GI specialist and we are working with him to get to the bottom of this.  They are testing her for Celiac, CF, and several other metabolic disorders.  In the last 2 months she has been burping constantly, never did this before.  She tolerates all food, never any problems.  She eats well and is hungry all of the time.  I am confused by all of this and very frightened, any input you give would be appreciated. A kidney doctor has also talked with our Ped. and wanted an L carnitine? test on the strange urine.