Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Flatulence

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Flatulence

My sister has had some blood work showing the possibility of celiac disease. She is 70 years old and is asymptomatic. Her Dr. wants to do a biopsy of the small intestine but she doesn't want to. That's where my question comes in. I know that that celiac disease is inherited, but my parents, who are both deceased, were never diagnosed with celiac. They both, as well as my only sibling, have diverticulosis. I, however, have much flatulence which has become quite embarrassing at times. I have no other symptoms that might relate to celiac disease. What should I do, especially to control the gas?
You could try an elimination diet. You could try digestive enzymes.

Beano is one brand to give you an idea what I am talking about. It is formulated for legumes, ie beans. But there are other brands for carbohydrates in general. This is probably what you need, but it may be that you need one for but you need one for fats or proteins, or even a little of all three. A health food store or the dry goods section of an organic grocery will have these products.

This is perfectly normal to need a little enzymatic support as you age.