Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Gliadin IgA and IgG?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Gliadin IgA and IgG?

Hi all. A recent blood test report showed both Gliadin IgA and IgG to be "borderline positive". What does this mean? Could it explain my gastro problems?
Yes, it can explain your gastro problems. IgG indicates more of an 'allergic' reaction to gluten, while IgA is more suggestive of the traditional autoimmune reaction which could indicate celiac disease. I suggest you have your genes checked to see which genes you're carrying and meanwhile, get off of all forms of wheat, rye and barley.
Avatar n tn
Before you get off al forms of gluten, I would request a total IgA serum test and a Ttg IgA test--that will tell you whether or not you have celiac disease.     My IgG gliadin is in the equivocal range---I was a little concerned I might have a gluten intolerance that was not celiac--but my gastro said that the IgG test means nothing.  i have 3 children with celiac disease and i carry one of the main celiac genes.

You need to have proper celiac testing done before you go gluten free.