Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Gluten free and still feel bad??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Gluten free and still feel bad??

Coming home from NYC last month I picked up a magazine lying in a seat...needed somehting to kill the 4 hour flight.  As luck would have it there was an article inside the magazine about gluten intollerance but as I read it was info I already knew.  Ya know...the basics,.....dont eat bread, pasta, condiments..etc.  Just as disappointment was setting in I ran on the last two paragraphs.  

I've been gluten free for the past 5 weeks but still feel bad...dizzy, diarrhea, stomach pain, body aches, etc.  I was starting to get very angry at the world because I was not feeling better and was at my rope's end.  I had no idea of what to do next and was quite frustrated.  The last two paragraps gave me hope.

As we all know...if you have celiacs disease or sever gluten intollerance there is a good change you are also lacose intollerant.  The author of the article stated that if you were gluten free and still suffering to eliminate the following items..not necessarily in this order.

1) Soy
2) Tomatoes & Potatoes (Nightshades)
3) Dairy
4) Nuts

Since our immune system is weak from fighting celiacs/glutten there is a good chance that one of the above items is also causing us harm.  Once I realized gluten was giving me touble then dairy was a problem I turned to Soy milk and other soy products.  Not realizing it at the time...my allergies came back with a vengence.  I just thought "allergy season in Oklahoma" and went about my daily life.

After reading the article I looked up "soy allergy symptoms" and guess what....I have all those symptoms as well.  Fatigue, diarrhea, dizzness, muscle aches, congestion, stuffy-runny nose.  I HAVE EM ALL!  And now that I think about it...all these other symptoms began a few weeks after I began consuming soy.

My point is....if you are gluten free and still suffering try eliminating the above items.  I eliminated all of them yesterday...we'll see what happens.  I would be most interested in the results for those of you that decide to do this.  Plesae keep me informed.   GOOD LUCK!

Yes, many celiacs have other food intolerance issues.  I am lactose intolerant and many other celiacs are too.  They say the small intestine villi that are destroyed in celiac are the producers of lactase, the enzyme that digests lactose.  So, no villi, no enzyme, no breakdown of the lactose sugar,  Some celiacs go on to develop other food intolerances after going gluten free (GF).  So far I have been ok on that score.  I am dairy free, soy free, and of course gluten free.  I am soy free because it is a known goitrogen (thyroid inhibiter) and I have thyroid disease so I don't want to make theose symptoms worse.  I am lactose free due to intolerance for 12 years, although I was fine with any dairy before that.  In fact, the day I found out I was lactose intolerant I was eating some frozen yogurt as I often did and boom, big problems.  Well, there wasn't an actual boom sound, but it was a dramatic change, you get the picture.  Supposedly it is possible for the villi to recover or grow back after a while, and then dairy can be eaten again.  So far this hasn't happened for me, but I have read that for others it had..

Do you guys also feel muscle weakness if your stomach is upset..like your limbs go real weak that you might even collapse?
I do feel muscle weakness when my stomach is upset.  I also get pain in both feet and legs...a stinging/burning type pain that wont go away for a few days.  

I have recently started taking pro-biotics in an effort to help my body repair itself.  I've been doing this for one week...not much improvement but I'm going to keep trying.
Not like that no.  I sometimes will feel like my brain has just switched off temporarily, and I almost fall over.  I haven't figured that one out.

You are a very recent GF'er.   It can take months to get your gut healed up, and that is if you are strictly GF.  Have you taken any B-vitamin supplements?  You may be deficient in B-vitamins, many celiacs are.
For Celiacs who do not get better on the Gluten-Free Diet the next best choice is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

http://www.oneluckyduck.com/category-list.php?id=3

Although, I also follow, in part, the Raw Vegan diet. Consider reading "Raw Food Real World"

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/
oops that was backwards

Specific Carbohydrate Diet:

Raw Vegan: