Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Hashimoto or Subclinical Thyroiditis Auto-Antibodies, Celiac Disease, a...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Hashimoto or Subclinical Thyroiditis Auto-Antibodies, Celiac Disease, and Testing!!

1. Is it true, that if someone is diagnosed with subclinical thyroiditis and/or Hashimoto's Disease, a gluten-free diet can actually decrease and/or return the antibody count to normal? How and why?

2. Is it also true, that if someone has thyroiditis auto-antibodies, and takes a Celiac Disease test, it could cause a false positive result for CD. If so, how?

Are there any reputable sources online to confirm the above? Have any of you experienced these changes?
I have Hashi's and positive Celiac antibodies. I am in the process of being worked up for Celiac's disease. My gastroenterologist, which I work with as well, is a brilliant physician. He informed me that Hashimoto's and Celiac disease frequently co-exist so that anyone with Hashi's that also has gi complaints should be tested for Celiac's Dz.

I have never heard specifically of Hashi's or sub-acute thyroiditis causing positive antibodies for Celiac's, but that is not to say that it can't happen. I do know for fact that high antibodies of any type, but specifically those seen in auto-immune conditions can cause false positive results for other tests. People with Lupus, Hashimoto's, and a variety of other autoimmune conditions can have false-positive RPRs (a screening test for syphilis). This can also happen non-autoimmune conditions such as mono or lyme disease too.

I have never heard of a gluten-free diet decreasing the antibody count. According to Dr. Lupo (MedHelp Thyroid Forum physician) and others in the field, 200 mcgs of Selenium a day has been shown in some to decrease antibody levels in Hashi's.
I would sure love the specific answers to your question as well. I was first diagnosed with Hashi's and now have found that i have the gene for Celiac and have been symptomatic with it. I am now on a Gluten free diet and feeling much better and like my old self.

I have the same question did I have Celiac which after many years of not knowing did it cause my bad thyroid to turn to Hashi's or the other way around or do they not work that way together? Will I develop other auto immune problems in the future? I sure hope not. I will keep watching to see if anyone can answer your question. Thanks for asking it. Do you have one or both?
I was diagnosed with Celiac first then Hashimoto's several years later. I also came up with really elevated Mono titers close to 3k .

kitty
I had GI tract symptoms of celiac for 12 years before I developed thyroid problems.  Lactose intolerance and C, and D etc.  So the thyroid problem followed after the celiac for me.

My understanding is that if you stick to a strictly GF diet the chances are you will not develop the other related autoimmune diseases.
Thanks for telling me your situation. I am trying to stick to gf but eating out causes problems.

Doctors don't seem to be able to diagnose easily so for me they found the thyroid first. 10 years later now Celiac's.

It is a bummer I miss alot of good food.
Hi I was intially told I had subclinical thyroidistis, then I was diagnsed with celiac about a year or two later. Then I went on to be diagnosed with sclerits (autoimmune eye disease), and systemic inflammation about two years later. SO far that's it, but I have had a few off liver enzyme tests, and my spleen is also enlarged. Blah,blah, blha..none ofit too interesting,but I just wanted to share becausemyunderstanding most defineitely isnot that following a GF diet will protect you from further autoimmune porblems. I WISH!!!! I follow it very strinctly and have had waymore problems sincemy diagnosis than before. I am no dr, but I think it is the genetic jackpot. Autoimmune disease can beget more autoimmune disease in highly sensitive people.
Best wishes.