Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
How long until I start feeling better?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

How long until I start feeling better?

I was told I have celiac about 5 days ago which explains why I have been sick feeling and having chest pains my whole life pretty much! I started eating better but I still have tummy aches and heart burn no hives or chest pains but my whole body feels icky and I'm still super tired. How long does it take to start feeling better is it an instant thing? I am unsure if maybe I'm supposed to be feeling better already and maybe I'm missing something! Thanks for your help! Also any tips for this newbie would be awesome!!
Feeling better when one is first diagnosed is not instant. It's going to take time, so patience is going to be necessary. If you've gone completely gluten-free (no wheat, rye or barley products) and you don't ingest any hidden gluten you should start feeling some small changes within a matter of weeks. But keep in mind you've got a lot of 'rebuilding' of your body that's going to go on, so feeling great could take months to a year.

Be really cautious about the hidden gluten. It's unfortunately in many products. Read labels and e-mail manufacturer's if necessary.
You do start feeling better as soon as you have but you need to remember this is a lifelong problem and will need to learn a whole new way of cooking, etc. My husband was diagnoised in Feb. 2011 and is still struggling with it. You also need to know that the stomach lining has been damaged and it takes 2 years of complete no gluten what so ever for it to heal. It is unable to absord vitamins also so a realy great thing to be taking is a multi vitamin that absorbs into your blood stream seeing as how your poor stomach is unable to. The best ones to use are Isotonic and are at MarketAmerica.com. Good luck and don't give up.
you can start feeling better with in days, to weeks to months up to a year later - depending on how much your intestine was damaged. I recently posted a note about eating gluten free that had lots of links in it - check it out

I hope you feel better soon
And for now it is a good idea to leave all dairy alone also.
Sometimes the first week off gluten leaves one feeling drained and sort of anemic.  It's the gluten-withdrawal phase.  I hope you are getting support to get the nutritious, safe calories you need and help with the research and shopping.  Feeling better is on its way, but it's hard to say when.