Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
I was diagnosed with sensitivity to gluten

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

I was diagnosed with sensitivity to gluten but it was on the low end. It was like 29. Can I eat a little gluten if I am gluten sensitive? Is there anyone else that is gluten sensitive but on the low end of the scale? I don't really have bowel issues. Sometimes here and there. Usually I just suffer with headaches, neck soreness, anxiety depression type issues. I have gone on the gluten diet for like 2 mnths now. I did make an exception a little at christmas.
Can we eat a little gluten? Is it ok to eat oatmeal that isn't gluten free?
Hi there, I have known about my gluten intolerance for about five years now along with my mom and sister so we have all dealt with it for quite some time now. I will let you know that deciding to have a gluten free diet is a choice you have to make one way or the other. There really is no in between. Eating gluten sometimes and not others really will not benefit you because it takes 2 weeks for your body to clear it out of your intestines and can actually take a few months to a year of eating gluten free for your body to be completely free of it. Your symptoms are actually very similar to mine and I will tell you that I feel quite better after following the diet. My sister and I both stick to the diet as closely as possible with the exception of about one day a year when we both splurge together and eat all the food we were craving. (its a thought)
My mom however is on the opposite side where she cannot fully commit to the diet and eats gluten free for a few days then eats bad for a few. She however is always complaining about stomach pain and headaches so it kind of shows that going without for a few days does not help all that much.

Oats are still on the iffy list. Some research says they are ok and some says no. I personally think that they bother me but some other people are not bothered by them. If you want to know for yourself it would be best to eat gluten free for about 2 weeks and see how you feel. Then try eating some oatmeal and see if it bothers you. Make sure it's Only oat though. Wheat, rye and barley are on the for sure No list.
Though this may not be your ideal answer,
Hope this helps!

You can get Irish oats, they are a little more "grainy" and take longer to cook (unless you soak them overnight and then cook them in the morning). Also oats from Canada are usually OK, the reason most in the US are not considered "gluten free" is because of the cross contamination, or processing them in a facility where wheat products are on the same lines. So some celiac patients have trouble when they eat them. There are more and more available and the prices are better than a few years ago on the "gluten free" products.
   Going gluten free COMPLETELY you will find with time is worth the effort for those suffering! It is not the amount of gluten you eat that causes the problem, it is the body's REACTION to the gluten. So even a small amount eaten regularly, can have long term consequences to your health.
  Try your best to have self control, and you will be happy in the long run!