IBS: cycle of rapid weight gain / loss
Hello,  (reposting in correct category)

About 15 years ago I had a lengthy battle with a case of Giardiasis (Beaver fever). In the years following my Dr diagnosed me with IBS having the typical cramps, bloating, diarehea..etc. and attributed it to the Giardiasis.

In the last 6 months, a few things have happened:
- The symtoms have become more intense
- I now have a naval hernia (I suspect caused by the bloating etc)
- I have entered a cycle of rapid weight loss/gain

After visiting my Dr again, he asked me to begin charting all the details to help look for a clue. My findings alarm me....

Starting at a base weight of 212, I gain as much as a 1.5 lbs per day for about 5 days. During this period is all my symptoms (bloating, gas, bouts of diarhea, cramps and pain). On the 6th day I suddenly begin dropping weight, again as much as 1.5 lbs per day back to 212. during this period i have no symptoms and feel good. I hold my weight at 212 for anywhere from 2-5 days, then begin the rapid weight gain again.... repeat over and over.

During this time my diet and exercise habits remain consistent. I am not on any medications.

When I look at IBS symptoms and stories I am not seeing this repeating cycle. what would explain this?