Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Ileostomy - how long from eating until the digested product comes out t...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ileostomy - how long from eating until the digested product comes out thru the stoma

i have a new ileostomy.  i am trying to figure out what foods cause what "product" -- watery stool, gas, etc.  However, I am not sure WHICH food(s) are causing WHICH bowel movement, i.e., approximately how long after ingesting does the food come out through the stoma?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
709686_tn?1277435759
I had a stoma 6 years ago.  I diffinately avoided brussel sprouts, spinich and brocolli as they would stain the bag.  Along with those items I avoided any gas producing foods like beans...it's realy embarassing to pass gas at an inapproporiate time.  Generally speaking...a normal transit time for food is 1.5 to 2 hours.  If you arent' planning on going out or being around people then eating beans and ruffage would be fine.  Can I ask what caused you to get a stoma?  I had 12 incehes of my Sigmoid Colon removed because two diverticulum ruptured.
Blank
i posted this to celiac in error. firstly, thank you for your response!!  secondly, i was ill for a long time with Ulcerative Colitis which ruined my entire colon (large intestine).  the surgeons removed my entire colon in June, hence the ileostomy.  i'm doing very well now.  donna c.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...