Aa
A
A
Close
Ileostomy - how long from eating until the digested product comes out thru the stoma
i have a new ileostomy.  i am trying to figure out what foods cause what "product" -- watery stool, gas, etc.  However, I am not sure WHICH food(s) are causing WHICH bowel movement, i.e., approximately how long after ingesting does the food come out through the stoma?
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
709686 tn?1277435759
I had a stoma 6 years ago.  I diffinately avoided brussel sprouts, spinich and brocolli as they would stain the bag.  Along with those items I avoided any gas producing foods like beans...it's realy embarassing to pass gas at an inapproporiate time.  Generally speaking...a normal transit time for food is 1.5 to 2 hours.  If you arent' planning on going out or being around people then eating beans and ruffage would be fine.  Can I ask what caused you to get a stoma?  I had 12 incehes of my Sigmoid Colon removed because two diverticulum ruptured.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
i posted this to celiac in error. firstly, thank you for your response!!  secondly, i was ill for a long time with Ulcerative Colitis which ruined my entire colon (large intestine).  the surgeons removed my entire colon in June, hence the ileostomy.  i'm doing very well now.  donna c.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community Resources