Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
I'm Nauseated 24/7 and don't know why

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

I'm Nauseated 24/7 and don't know why

Since May of 2009 I have had 7 surgeries.  I have been in and out of the Hospital more than 15 times.  I have had part of my small bowel removed twice.  I have constant nausea daily, 24/7.  I have been to more than 7 doctors and no one can tell me what is going on. I have had blood tests, CT scans, X-rays, etc. with no avail.  I have upper abdominal pain right under my rib cage on the left side.  I pass horrible smelling gas and have horrible smelling, oily stools.  It looks like there is a layer of grease on the top of the water when I have a bowel movement.  I have been on home care IV fluids since December to keep me alive.  I have had zofran, phenergen, reglan, different muscle relaxers, pain medicines, and anxiety medications, but my nausea and vomiting do not ever go away.  I have had 2 endoscopies, 1 colonscopy, and an upper G.I. scan.  The test results have all been normal.  

I have recently started having horrible headaches sine the beginning of January and I have never had headaches before in my life.  I have had pregnancy tests and I am not pregnant.  The only thing that gives me a little relief is when I go to the ER and have phenergen injected through an IV but the nausea soon returns.  No doctor I have seen has been able to help me or find out what is wrong.  I am wondering if any of you medical professionals out there have any ideas of what this could be.  

I know my body and I know something is wrong.  I feel as though the doctors are just masking the symptoms (or trying to) but they are not finding the root problem.  I don't have a gallbladder and I had gastric bypass 6 years ago.  I continue to lose weight because I can't eat and really don't want to because it makes me sick.  I am 5'9, 25 years old, and 148lbs.

If anyone has any suggestions or helpful guidance please help!  I need to know why I am feeling this way.
Some people are intolerant to gluten without actually being Celiac or having an allergic reaction. It's real. It's similar to when you give babies cows milk before they're ready. They aren't actually allergic, but they can't digest the proteins and their body will reject it. A lot of times a surgery will trigger a food intolerance.
My advice is to try a gluten free diet if you haven't already. Since your stomach is all sorts of upside down, eating rice, potatoes, applesauce and bananas would probably work for you right now anyways.

I'm not a medical professional. Just someone with a gluten intolerance. It seems like it can't be real until you try it and feel like your old self again.
Have you had a gastric emptying scan? I have gastroparesis which means my stomach takes hours to days to empty. I have the 24/7 nausea with a lot of vomiting! I have lost almost 30 pounds in a little over a month. I am not hungry or feel full very quickly.  My stomach hurts all the time and I have esophgeal spasms that make me feel like I am having a heart attack. I am bloated a lot.
Look up gastroparesis and check with your doctor.
Good luck!!!!
I just wanted to give an update of what is going on with me.  They have finally figured out what is wrong and it's going to require major surgery.  I had gastric bypass 5 years ago and with the scopes I had done last week they were able to see that it was closed badly and is leaking.  I have extreme bacterial infections throughout my intestines because of this, and many other problems.  To fix it they have to go in and do a complete gastric bypass revision.  They have to start from scratch and it will be as if I have an entire new bypass with all new parts.  My entire digestive system is going to be rebuilt.  I will have 4 feet of small intestine removed, a new stomach pouch made, and then they will connect everything back up.  They said that if I don't have this I will die a slow death, but there is no doubt that it will kill me.  They are 85% sure that this will fix me and also about a 94% chance that I will live.  Those are not perfect guarantees but it is either that or die, so I'm choosing to fight.  I go in for surgery in 2 weeks and we'll go from there.  They are planning on a 12-14 hour surgery, a 1 1/2-2 month Hospital stay, and about a 6 month recovery.  This is a huge process, but to save my life it is something that I absolutely have to do.  So thank you for all your concern and support!  Please keep me in your prayers and I will continue to keep you all updated.  Thank you so much again!  I feel like I have truly made good friends on this site.  :)
Hi!  I just read your posts.  I'm glad they figured out the problem.  

I just wanted to say that if you continue to have nausea and lack of appetite after surgery, a medication that helped me be able to eat was Risperdal.  I think it just took 3 weeks on this medication to help my messed-up system calm down and regain my appetite.  I gained 10 lb in that time, so I got up to about 118, and I've held that.  
Hi and my prayers are with you, i hope you can read this message as its been a few years since your post on here, if so how did the surgery go.  I hope you feel much better