Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Insomnia due to stomache pains

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Insomnia due to stomache pains

My husband was tested for Celiac Disease last year and we have been very careful monitoring his diet to avoid any gluten substance.  In the past 6 months, he has been having trouble sleeping due to either sharp stomach pains or heartburns or bloating.  We ruled out that it may be food contamination with gluten because we have been very careful with his dinner preparation.  He noticed that his stomach is more sensitive at night verus the day.  His doctor thought he might have a sleep disorder (apnea) but the test came back negative.  He was also tested positive for H.Plori a few years back but is cured.  He has no issues falling asleep but rather staying asleep.  He has also tried sleeping pills (Lunesta, etc) but the pills did not help him stay asleep - even taking the highest dosage.  His primary care physician is running out of ideas what might be the cause. Can someone suggest what kind of steps we should take to figure out 1.  insomnia 2. what causes his stomache issues.  Would an ultrasound help to identify the issue (his doctor doesn't think so)?

Thanks!
Just a thought here, but does your husband still have his gallbladder?
I had terrible (temporary) insomnia when I first went gf. I usually never have a problem sleeping, so it drove me crazy. It was exactly as you describe -- no trouble getting to sleep, but waking up in pain, usually (for me) around 4 a.m. I found that I had to eat something at 4 a.m to make the pain go away -- I felt like I was starving & my stomach was cramping.

The insomnia lasted for about 8 months, but I am back to normal now & so happy. Hopefully the same will happen for him.
Hi Lynn_C,

Thanks for your comment.  My husband has been on this diet for 1.5 years already.  He started having insomnia half a year ago.

Hi Dani2776-

He still has his gallbladder.  Do you think it's related?
I have been on a gluten free diet for over two years. I am still having
problems myself. I had my gallbladder removed back in 2001.
I wake up 2:00 or 3:00 A.M. with stomach grind or pain.
I been going to doctors for over three months now. I suspect,
My digestive system in not balanced, going for and endoscope to
see if I have ulcers. When you are diagnosed with celiac disease,
you have to take great care not to cross contaminate your food.
Which is easy to do. If you have your gallbladder, you may want to
get that checked out. My last resort, was a nuclear test. The inner
core of my gallbladder was dying, causing me great pain. There are
help groups out there that can help you with your gluten problems.
good luck on getting your health back on track. JIm