Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Is Enterolab legitimate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Is Enterolab legitimate?

Hi everyone,
I am so FED UP with all doctors!!!! I live in Germany and - not that that is relevant necessarily - no one seems to understand anything about Celiac disease. I'm so fed up I want to scream!!!!!
I have asked to get tested and no one will test me! One at least explained that it is really difficult to diagnose and that they are not specialized in that, etc. But of course I cannot seem to find ANYONE who is.
CAn I take the enterlab test????
Thanks for your help!
Kerri
Yes, Enterolab is more than legitimate. My husband is living proof of that, and if you look at Dr. Fine's publications and research history you'll find he's a well-trained reputable doctor with a decent history of clinical research.

You can take the Enterolab stool test and if you do, make sure to do the 'regular' test for gliadin antibodies and couple it with the gene test to find out which genes you carry. Also do the test to see if you're cross-reactive to casein, the major protein in dairy. A lot of celiacs do cross-react so it's important to know if you need to cut out dairy as well.

There are thousands of people who have been mis-diagnosed via blood tests and even the endoscopy who finally turned to the Enterolab test and finally found out exactly what they had.

That test changed my husband's life and his health - for the better. Our internist - as good as he is - told us there was no way my husband could be having a problem with gluten. He was dumb-founded when the results came back.

I'm not sure what the rules are in your country about getting and taking the test. I do know of someone in England who was diagnosed via the test kit. E-mail them and ask how to do it. I believe you'll have to return the test kit via a special mailing if you're out of the U.S.
Hi Cal Gal,
I just thought I'd give you an update (if you're still observing this thread) that I got the package for enterolab's test and gene test, so I am excited to see what comes of it. My new family doctor has now - after taking blood tests (not celiac tests) and looking at all my numerous tests I've gotten in the past two years - said he think it is food allergies. I definitely have food allergies, but he said it could be a combination of food allergies and some kind of intolerance like gluten-intolerance/celiac. So I'm doing this test and we'll see in about a month what the results are! I'm definitely going gluten-free after I send the stool sample and gene test to enterolab. I can't wait to start feeling better and healthier.

Thanks again for your tips. I will definitely post a new thread with the results.

Let us know what happens. It's lousy to say I hope you 'find your answer,' but I think you know what I mean. Having food allergies/intolerances isn't fun but when you know what's going wrong and can take tose items out of your diet and start to feel better, it's more than worth it!

Good luck.
Hi there. I'm not sure if anyone is following this thread anymore, but I'll try to post this here and see what happens...

I got my results from Enterolab:

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA:    44 Units

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA:    20 Units

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score:    Less than 300 Units

Fecal Anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA:    9 Units

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1:    0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2:    0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ   1,1  (Subtype 5,5)

What does anyone make of this??

It says IgA should be under 10; mine was 44.
The other one should be under 10; it was 20...
They also said that although I don't have the main gene for celiac, I have two copies of some kind of sub-gene for it. I'm not sure what that means....

Any insight would be helpful!!! Thanks!
Leethinker, for all practical purposes you are celiac. And you're running on the high 'edge' of normal on cross-reacting to casein, which could mean casein intolerance, or it may just reflect the fact that your GI system is having a rough time with dairy products.

If you read the interpretations with each part, you should see something like the following (taken from a different report; the 'caps' are mine):

Interpretation of Fecal Antigliadin IgA:  Intestinal antigliadin IgA antibody was elevated, indicating that you have ACTIVE dietary gluten sensitivity. For optimal health, resolution of symptoms (if you have them), and prevention of small intestinal damage and malnutrition, osteoporosis, and damage to other tissues (like nerves, brain, joints, muscles, thyroid, pancreas, other glands, skin, liver, spleen, among others), it is recommended that you follow a strict and permanent gluten free diet. As gluten sensitivity is a genetic syndrome, you may want to have your relatives screened as well.

Interpretation of Fecal Antitissue Trans! glutamin ase IgA:  You have an AUTOIMMUNE reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase, secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity.

Interpretation of Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score:  Provided that dietary fat is being ingested, a fecal fat score less than 300 indicates there is no malabsorbed dietary fat in stool indicating that digestion and absorption of nutrients is currently normal.

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing:  Although you do not possess the main HLA-DQB1 genes predisposing to celiac sprue (HLA-DQB1*0201 or HLA-DQB1*0302), HLA gene analysis reveals that you have two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity (any DQ1, DQ2 not by HLA-DQB1*0201, or DQ3 not by HLA-DQB1*0302). Having two copies of a gluten sensitive gene means that each of your parents and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of the gene. Two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the result! ant immunologic gluten sensitivity may be more severe.

Take this report to your doc and see if he/she will accept the results. But even if your doc doesn't believe in the enterolab results, for your own good health in the coming years, you NEED to treat yourself as a celiac would.