Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Is celiac genetic? pseudo-celiac?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Is celiac genetic? pseudo-celiac?

i have three daughters--ages 8,4, and 6 months.  the 8 yr old presented with GI issues when she was 18 mos. old.  She had chronic constipation, huge bowel movements (when she had them, which wasn't very often), loss of appetite, and was very difficult to potty train.  She was sent to a GI doc after an x-ray showed severe constipation and megacolon.  After several tests, he diagnosed her with megacolon, functional constipation and gastroparesis, gave us miralax and sent us on our merry way.  He did a hirschprung's test and scoped her lower Gi.  he did the celiac test from this and i think maybe the blood work.  Both came out negative.

move forward 7 yrs.  She still has issues.  and she has a little sister.  the 4 yr old has had severe leg pain since she was 2.  Tested for cancer, JRA, and a couple of weeks ago we had a spinal MRi done on her to test for tethered cord.   she has started having issues with urinary incontinence.  took her old x-rays to the specialist for the tethered cord eval. and he said she was backed-up 3-5 days in the old x-ray (and it was never mentioned to me by any of the 4 or 5 docs that have seen it in those 2.5 yrs!) so he did another one.  she was backed-up 7-9 days in the new one!  Mri came back negative for tethered cord.  she has constipation and they think this is what causes her leg pain and incontinence.  Say hello to miralax again!  

so, can celiac be genetic?  i am wondering if i should have my kids tested for it.  i want to get to the bottom of these issues before my baby starts table food so i can avoid this for her and help my older two get better.

pseudo-celiac has been mentioned to me...anyone heard of this before?  could this be the case since DD1 tested neg?
yes it is, i have more information i dont have with me right now to back it up, but yes it is and you don't ever grow out of it you just deal with it and dotn eat wheat gluten ever again. i worked with a girl whos child was and she says hes fine now but he was allergic to everything.. now he eats wheat but uhm no! her son will have problems later, i will back up what i say with my research sunday when i log in.and if you get tested, and it  says neg and your child  still has problems they can still be sensitive to it and test neg.