Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Is it coeliac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Is it coeliac

Hi my 5 year old daughter has very itchy skin that started with a huge nasty rash on her trunk right side, this went away but for 3 months she has had itching all over, she also has this terrible spotty rash on both elbows. she complains of tummy ache when eating and tasting sick in her mouth, she has terrible wind. She was born 12 weeks early and had no swallowing ability but is now on a full and very healthy diet. The dermatologist are not sure what it is so have sent us to st thomas hospital but we wont be seen until june, because of the elbows coeliac has been mentioned. She has also started getting cramps in her calves. all the blood tests have been clear although an allergy blood test was slightly raised. Please Help i am desperate i feel like im poisioning her little body with no advice from anyone.
If she has allergies to gluten, or anything, her tummy is NOT able to digest the nutrients she needs.  You will do her a major favor if you just put her on a gluten free diet for a few months to see if she gets healthier.  Maybe a dairy and soy free diet also.  Just home cooked meats, fruits and vegies and gluten free pastas and you may find her feeling and looking much better.  It's worth a try, huh?  
Hi, i got diagnoised with coeliac disease when i was 7, and now at 16 i have abit of knowlegde of the symptoms.

When i was smaller i was very thin, with a bloated stomach and was quite small. Also i did have notably itchy skin which was linked with the Coeliac Disease. I had on and off patches of it- one month i would be vomiting violently crying with the pain in the stomach, other months I'd be ok.

I had two sets of blood tests, none of them proving positive hence my mum arguing with the doctors because there was something wrong with me. So in the end i had a operation which i believe is called a Endoscopy which confirmed i did have Coeliac Disease- so i wouldn't totally rely on the blood tests.

You could consider a trial week of a gluten free diet. If you live in the UK supermarkets are very good for labelling gluten-free products and often have a gluten free section. See if this makes a notable difference.

Hope this helps
good luck
when i was very young i was very ill, i had a bloated tummy but i weighed very little because i couldnt digest my food. I also had itchy skin and cried all the time because i was in pain but my poor parents didnt know why it wasnt until i was 6years old that i was diagnosed so i never grew aswell. i am 18 now and am healthy and my sister who also has coeliac disease is also very healthy
i feel so bad for you because my mum had to fight for the doctors to test us because they refused my sister got that poorly that she almost never made it so please keep pushing them and i hope things will work out really well for you and your daughter,

i agree about trying her on a gluten free trial, both my sister and i also had problems with dairy products when we were young which our dietition told us was related to coeliac disease unfortunatley though now we both have had poor bone density scans and are on calcium suppliments

but anyway im sure your daughter will be  fine and things will work out ok, by the way if i ever have problems with my skin now i find e45 cream works best.