Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Oily film in toilet after diarrhea severe joint pain, celiac?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Hi everyone,

As you may know I've been having digestive issues for the past three weeks, see my other post here if you haven't http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Gastroenterology/abdominal-bloating-lasting-for-a-week-please-help/show/1676477#post_7665625

Anyways, so my gastroenterologist calls me about a week ago and tells me he saw excess stool in my intestines from a 3 way abdominal x-ray he took and tells me I'm constipated, even though I'm going about two or three times a day and to take miralax to help clean me out. This does nothing. I stop taking it a couple of days ago and now I am getting explosive diarrhea about 20 minutes after I eat anything with really bad stomach cramping ( which had already been happening on and off for a couple years but never this bad), but what I have also noticed is that there is an oily film on the toilet water over the chunks of stool that have sunk to the bottom ( the diarrhea is mostly watery with a few chunks). I also have severe joint pain in my hands specifically, so much that i can barely type or hold things. I'm waiting for my bloodwork for celiac to come back in addition to some vitamin deficiency tests. I also currently have a positive ANA antibody result on other bloodwork and have been feeling extremely fatigued and I have had a distended bloated abdomen for almost three weeks that has not decreased in size whatsoever. I am also currently dairy free. Any ideas?
Tags: severe joint pain, oily film in toilet, intestinal cramping, distended abdomen
Oh, I'm more than certain you are a good candidate for needing to go gluten free.  In spite of what people tell you, be sure to avoid corn gluten, too.  Corn is irritating to the gut in the first place, most of what is on the market is GMO, and it's fattening.  Potatoes, too.  Stick mainly with rice, because it is the lowest of all gluten containing grains according to the video I mentioned.  Go low carb.  If you tolerate beans, use more legumes instead of grains and carbs.  Golden sweet potatoes are the healthiest and lowest glycemic.  Low to no carb for now to let your gut heal.  I need to do the same thing.  I got away from the stuff that was definitely irritating the dyshidrotic eczema, but I still need to heal my gut.  I was unaware of the possibility of other grains actually containing a different gluten than the ones that we're told to avoid.  You may find that all grains bother me.  I haven't been eating rice for that reason.  Sometimes after I eat it, my gut hurts.  So, it may be a grain thing, too.  Or, it may be the ones that look the most like traditional grass that irritate me.  I do know that Celiacs need to reassess all their carb intake according to this video, particularly if eating a compliant diet doesn't help them feel better.  Sweet potatoes and winter squash are good.  If you're really good now, in the summer you'll be able to handle some sweet potatoes, if you want to.  Winter squashes eaten plain or as a soup or something savory will be an asset to anyone with true Celiac, because they're not in the gluten category at all and are high in fiber and naturally low carb.  Canned pumpkin is such a help (make sure it's a bpa free brand) that it's used for invalid dogs and even cats.  So, try to keep that stuff on hand all year, just in case.  Get fresh organic winter squash while you can.  Eat sufficient protein.  Protein will help you lose weight.  Most of us are in serious trouble in that area, including plenty of people with Celiac who don't suffer the diarrhea issue.  A Celiac who suffers diarrhea issues will benefit from staying away from all grains entirely.
It sounds like you are having malabsorption, I recommend getting tested for parasites and food allergies also. If you don't mind I am also having problems, and it clearly sounds like you are having malabsorption; what does the oily film look like, does it look like obvious oil (you know olive oil, vegetable oil) or does it have a different appearance.

Please reply to my comment and if the Celiac comes back negative I strongly recommend trying food allergies and maybe a stool parasite test.
my celiac test came back negative but there's a chance I may still have a gluten sensitivity. the film is like someone spilled vegetable oil on the water but its very faint. I'm on align currently which so far isn't doing much. I'm getting tested for small intestinal bacteria overgrowth on the 28th. gastro doesnt seem interested in testing for food allergies hes just blowing it off as ibs which it could be but he also won't do a colonoscopy and is convinced it isn't a parasite because I didn't leave the country. so yeah still kinda playing the waiting game have you gotten a diagnosis yet?
If you are gluten and casein free, you could have other food intolerances besides the ones that can obviously kill you if you have Celiac.

That said, you may be experiencing malabsorption.  You will want to eat a low residual diet for a few days and call your doctor right away.  

I am sometimes told to eat a low residual diet, because of colon cramping.  It is always temporary, because no one can eat a low residual diet indefinitely and remain healthy.
Malabsorption issues and liver trouble comes to mind. Do you still have your gallbladder? How are your liver enzyme levels? Any trouble with hepatitis?
Here is a very interesting and useful link with newer information concerning gluten intolerance and the illnesses it causes, such as Celiac.  I sure wish more doctors would get on board and figure this out, since I've been saying that whether or not I have Celiac I have definite gluten intolerance.  This video I found to be useful explains how and why.  I will watch it again, too.  Did you know that there is newer information concerning the grains we have been taught to be gluten free that suggests this is untrue?  While it is true that the big four are still very bad for anyone with gluten intolerance or Celiac either one, other grains are now being added to the list.  I will also watch this one again, because the presenter went through that part kind of fast.  The only grain on the list that he showed that had the lowest percentage of total gluten was rice at five percent.  Others that we have been told were safe and gluten free may not be safe after all.  So, for folks who are being so well-behaved and following their diet so carefully--this video is for you.  You didn't do anything wrong, but the information about what is safe and isn't safe is outdated by about sixty years, according to this video.  Watch for some information about zonulin production, and watch for information about some key tests that are still being overlooked that helps to explain why some of us are still getting negative test results when we know we have issues.  I want a certain "doctor doubter" to watch this, so she will know that the "gold standard" blood tests for determining Celiac are antiquated.  The presenter in this video is talking about how the new gold standard should actually be the genetic tests, such as the DQ2 and the DQ8.  Until our medical insurances cover it, these tests will continue to be expensive out-of-pocket tests for us.  Anything to get this video out into the mainstream and other newer information is very important to all of us here, whether we have a confirmed diagnosis or negative diagnosis but still having symptoms.

glutenology.net/glutenology-health-matrix-free-video
Whether or not you can join that website for more than the free intro video that I provided the link to isn't the point.  That is a very good video that will still provide you with enough information to help you out with what you're dealing with now.  Don't worry about that.  I may not be able to do that myself, because $69 is a lot of money to a lot of people here.  The free video is still very informative, so it's worth seeing more than once even.
I have celiac sprue and all my blood tests came back negative except one. I

Around 5 years ago i stared getting blisters all over mostly face, tush and boobs they hurt so bad i had to put latex free bandades all over just to get dressed! Drs kept telling me it was stress, i finally went to acupuncturist and he said i had celiac sprue. Told me to stop eating wheat so i did with in 3 weeks it all disappeared! It took 3 years for someone to tell me this.
I havent gone gluten free yet only because my gastro says he doesnt see a point and yes I do still have my gallbladder and I believe my liver enzyme levels are ok although my mother does have fatty liver disease. As I've said my gastro dr is testing me for small bacterial over growth on the 28th and I'm seeing my rheumatologist the 29th and the gastro is just holding.out on that its only ibs because my bowel movements do change from day to day. Just the joint pain and fatigue is really rough in addition to.kay constantly changing bowel movements and appetite. The oily film.is still happening even if the diarrhea switches over to constipation
Do not rule out endo it affect everything as well because it increases the overall inflammation in the body. A typical place for endo is on the bowel. I recommend that you try to go gluten free. Even if you have IBS (or endo) it can help.

I read about a lady whose g.i. doc diagnosed IBS and she was told to stay away from grains and dairy and she feels a lot better and does not even miss the grains or dairy.
I've been researching endo ( my mother actually had endo but she was 28 when she was diagnosed) and its a possibility but I've had an ultrasound and they said everything "looks normal" but I know ultrasounds can miss them especially if its in the bowels. My GI is almost counting on it being SIBO
Whether or not you have Celiac, you would do well to still consider going gluten free.  Gluten intolerance is known to cause many other illnesses, like auto immune issues, fibromyalgia, eczema and those are just the ones I remember from the video.  Gluten intolerance does affect people with mental illnesses, but most will never get to know it, because a lot of doctors only focus on whether a person has Celiac or not. They assume that if the person doesn't test for Celiac or gluten allergy that the person doesn't have gluten intolerance.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Plus, a lot of the issues stem from modern agriculture.  Ancient agriculture didn't involve manipulating the DNA of plants.  Ancient wheat crops, such as what grew in bible times was quite different from the dwarf varieties of wheat and other grains grown today.  Plus, modern wheat has a staggering 14% gluten rate (higher gliadin than this according to the video) compared to 2%.  So, it makes sense that more and more people are getting all these illnesses while doctors themselves don't even connect the dots.
Yeah it probably would make sense for me to go gluten free because even if I "just have IBS" I have heard good things about going gluten free on it and how it alleviates symptoms. I also suffer from depression and generalized anxiety disorder so maybe that would help. I'm waiting to see my rheumatologist on Wednesday because theres a chance I may have fibromyalgia,Chronic fatigue syndrome, or even Lupus after a bout with EBV last year plus a high ANA, low grade fever,severe fatigue, joint and muscle aches, and my bloodwork saying something about inflammation somewhere in my body
Endo does not show up on an ultrasound-- only cysts. The only way to correctly rule out endo is through a laparoscopy. You need to see an endo specialist a gen ob/gyn does not know enough about endo. To find one near you contact the endo assoc:
http://www.endometriosisassn.org/
I am feeling great after experimenting with an OTC treatment for parasites!  I am gluten-free, nut-free, and nearly dairy-free already.  But I have had terrible constipation that I thought was from splenic flexure syndrome.  But what is causing this obstruction and this leaky gut really?  Maybe it started with parasites.  Before you freak out, Dr. Oz says 80% of people have parasites.  So what harm is there in treating yourself and seeing if you get better?  So many things work.  They pretty much all taste bad, so I found a capsule product with GSE, artemisia and echinacea.  It's called NutriBiotic high-potency Grapefruit Seed Extract.  Other things that work are cloves, black walnut hull, papaya seeds, and several other things.  Do the research and consider this easy way to feel better!  Digestion is fixed and I have energy.  So happy.  
well i had an endoscopy and colonoscopy on the 16th and had a 4 mm benign polyp removed from my sigmoid colon and found out I have h pylori so im currently on antibitoics
Recently, I was curious about the medicinal qualities of arugula.  I've had to be on an anti-Candida diet, which is stricter than any Atkins diet and totally gluten free, because there are no carbohydrates allowed while killing the Candida overgrowth.  It's also dairy free, because there are natural sugars in the milk and milk products.  Cheese is obvious, since mold and yeast are similar biologically.  All fermented products are out, too.

Well, anyway, when I looked up arugula's medicinal qualities, it said that arugula is supposed to be helpful for ulcers.  This could be useful information for you, since H-pylori can be a very persistent and devilish bacteria even with antibiotics.  Arugula by itself can be a bit much for some of us to eat, but mixed with other salad greens it is simply complementary.  I'm not sure how much of it is needed to be medicinal, so you might want to do more research on that one, but it could prove helpful to at least include it in your diet.
lilmisskris0307:

How have you been feeling? Did the oily film go away?