Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Please help when no doctor has yet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Please help when no doctor has yet

So before I start, yes I've been to several doctors and specialists and have traveled to several states before I am typing this. I had a car accident in June '10 and it was a nasty roll over and my car was completely destroyed. I wore my seat belt, and I was released with no outward injury. Then in July '10 I gained 20 lbs in two weeks! I'll admit I was not the healthiest person around at the time but I did not change my diet to gain that weight, I have at least kept a steady weight until that dramatic weight gain. My stretch marks are disgusting, I have them worse then a pregnant woman. This year and a little of last year I spent several months in the hospital. Horrible headaches, nausea, and a painful sharp stab EVERY single time I ate and drank.....even a glass of water. It still happens today. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease (severe allergy to wheat, rye, and barley) and I have changed my diet leading to more weight gain. Or is it weight gain? In the morning I measured my stomach and by the evening I had gained 5in', not kidding. I have severe bloating that happens every time I eat anything... Its so unsettling because people have mistaken me for being pregnant. Why is my stomach bloating the way it is? No I'm not pregnant, but my period is gone with the wind and its been about 7 months since I've last had one. Obviously something is very wrong, but no doctor has offered me advice about what to do. I used to be skinny and its very hard emotionally gaining this so fast. I went from size 3-5 pants to size 8-10 in a little over two weeks. Can anyone offer me any advice? Also my legs and arms are still quite on the skinny side, so I can't blame people for thinking I'm pregnant. Have you heard of anything like this?

If you can, what are some ways to reduce bloating? I have switched to more healthier foods and it doesn't work, I still bloat.
Is this Celiac related or something else?
Tags: celiac, Doctor, help, Allergies
I am sorry you are not getting any answers. Two things have you seen a doctor who specializes in endometriosis or and endocrinologist for PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome) and a full thyroid work-up?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/

If you have had your thyroid checked, what were the results? Or did they just tell you that everything was in range? The ranges are off and most doctors do not know this. Thankfully my doctor does. If you have not had your thyroid checked you should for that get your TSH, free T3 (contrary to what some doctors think this test is NOT obsolete), Free T4, and thyroid antibodies checked.

If you want to find out more about the thyroid an excellent book is "The Thyroid Solution"
http://www.amazon.com/Thyroid-Solution-Revolutionary-Mind-Body-Program
/dp/0345429206
This book is easy to read, has some good stories and a great index.

Also has anyone checked your adrenal function you might have Cushings Syndrome:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cushing%27s_syndrome
If you want to know the correct test for Cushings I recommend that you post on the adrenal insufficiency forum here on medhelp. The forum mediator has Cushings and is very knowledgeable.

I hope this helps and hope you get some answers,
achilles2

PS As far as gluten free diet I recommend staying on it because if you have any autoimmune problem gluten can make it worse (for anyone) by increasing inflammation.

celiac is an autoimmune disease, not an allergy---definite difference there.  if you had alot of intestinal damage that has not healed yet, you could be lactose intolerant until everything heals---this would explain the bloating.   are you checking for hidden gluten in the foods you eat?  are you avoiding anything that syas malt flavoring or barley malt?    also, do you have a Ttg test done every 6 months to see if you are really staying gluten free? you could be getting cross-contamination and not even realize it.   if you are living with other people, make sure that you have your own jars of peanut butter, jams, mayo, etc.  use separate knives and cutting boards.    one of my daughter's spent 2 1/2 months in seattle children's hospital with an eating disorder and they assured me they knew how to feed a celiac because they had celiac kids come through there all the time.   i suspected she was getting gluten and told them so---but they assured me they were special ordering things in for her and that the kitchen staff knew how to avoid cross contamination---but after she called me and told me that they had given her rice crispies for breakfast--which she told them she couldn't eat (malt flavoring)  i insisted on them doing a Ttg test.  her levels were over 100---she had gone into the hospital with her levels at 12.  sooo, even a hospital dietician can sdrew up a celiac diet.