Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Unable to Absorb foods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Unable to Absorb foods

I have had problems digesting foods all of my life, the doctors have told me that I have everything from a nerves stomach to I have Colitis, and now they say I have IBS. For the last 18 months the problem seem to be getting worst; How can I find out if I have Celiac Disease? Last year doctor did biopsy removed some growths.Had me to try the GF diet for about 2wks before test, came back negative. I've read that you should keep eating gluten before the test. Maybe that is the reason test came back Negative. What should I do now, he has me eatting baby food, not able to keep any food in me, taking B12 shots. Sorry this is a long story/and even longer. What should be my next step to get to the buttom of this Tummy problem?
If you're willing, go to enterolab.com and take the IgA-gliadin test for celiac issues, along with the gene test for celiac disease. The first is a fecal antibody test and it's a lot more 'valid' than some of the blood tests that are run.

My husband had problems for years and nothing showed up in the tests before we finally ran these. His IgA-gliadin levels were high. He carries the genes for gluten sensitivity. He also cross-reacts to casein, the major protein in dairy.
The easiest and cheapest way to find out, and in my opinion the best, is to go in a gluten free diet.  My daughter always tested neg for celiac, but I took her off gluten and walla!  She's cured!  Testing is highly inaccurate and most gp's don't believe in intolerances.  Get gluten free.  Then test yourself intermittently, if you can't tolerate after several years chances are you are celiac.  Treatment is the same if you are celiac or intol.