Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
Vinegar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Vinegar

Can someone tell me if vinegar is off limits for those of us gluten allergies?  I have read different opinions as to vinegar, malt vinegar, white vinegar and so on.  I LOVE Heinz 57 sauce and see that vinegar is an ingrediant.  
Heinz regular apple cider vinegar is safe, but Heinz told me not to use their organic apple cider vinegar.  I use the regular one a lot in Good Seasons Italian dressing mix, which is also GF.  You would need to call Heinz about any of their other products.  Some things might have contamination issues that might not show up on the labels, but they should be able to tell you.

straight vinegar will not contain gluten, some of the other ingredients in heinz 57 may though.  
You need to call Heinz and be sure that the vinegar they are using in the 57 is apple cider vinegar or just ask if it is safe for celiacs. It probably has caramel coloring, a no-no.