Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
cause and effect

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

cause and effect

I HAVE JUST DHAD SURGERY OF REMOVAL OF MY LARGE INTESTINE,HOWEVER A SMALL PORTION WAS SAVED TO RECONNECT WITH MY SMALL INTESTINE.WHAT CAN I DO TO VOID ANY LEAKAGE,HERNIA,INFLAMMATION, FROM FORMING IN MY DISGESTIVE TRACK, OR MY INTESTINE? I REALLY NEED TO KEEP A HEALTHY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM SO THAT MY SMALL INTESTINE CAN BETTER DIGEST AND PASS MY FOOD. I NO THAT FOODS THAT HIGH IN FIBER AND PROTIEN,BUT LOW AND SODIUM AND CHOLESTERAL. SO PLEASE GIVE ME A DIRECT AND HONEST ANSWER?
The doctor should have given you a strict diet to follow for at least 6 weeks.  Beginning with soft foods and cooked fruits only for about two weeks.  Then you gradually add pudding and mashed potato the next week.  Whatever you do, don't eat salad or greens until the 7th week.  And even then very little.  Your incision needs time to heal.  Ask him/her for the TIF diet - it's very restrictive, but helps you to heal.   Hope this helps. - PS  My mom had that surgery at the age of 84 and did well.  Hope you do too.