Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
constant abdoninal pain even with glutten free diet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

About a year and a half ago my girlfriend started having abdominal pain and it got worse and worse, till about 6 months later when we found out she had Celiac Disease. She cut out gluten from her diet completely (has had it once or twice on accident and paid dearly). however even with a completely gluten free diet she is still in constant pain. literally 24/7. Her Symptoms involve Constant abdominal pain, gas, not being able to relieve the gas, constipation, depression, muscle aches, she was 72lbs at her worse but is now 92 (she is 5'1" and should be at 105). The main thing is... she is in a lot of pain every day and even GI's have not seem to come with an anwser of why she is in constant pain. this is a year later. She has had two endoscopy's, an MRI and is about to have a balloon endoscopy(name?).  Please any input would be greatly appreciated .
Tags: Celiac disease, Constant Abdominal Pain
Has she tried going dairy free as well? Many celiacs also have to avoid dairy because one of the proteins in dairy, casein, is similar in make up to gluten.

Hope she feels better,
achilles2

PS I have also learned that I have to avoid soy so she might also want to try that just do it seperately from dairy-- try one first and then the other. Does she also know about hidden sources of gluten-- if not just google that phrase you should get a lot more info. Also does she take any meds she should check the inactive ingredients they might have gluten. Or if she tries dairy free-- have her to be sure to check her meds many meds contain dairy.

Hope she feels better,
achilles2

Thank you so much. After I read this a few days ago I did a bit more research and it seems like this is very common. She is going to try and do a fruits and veggie diet for a few days and see if that relieves the pain and then we will slowly reintroduce foods back into her diet. Thank you so much for your response. very helpful :)