Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
dont know if this all may be gluten

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

dont know if this all may be gluten

my wife has suffered with chronic pain all over, sharp pain, that made her only sit on the couch for 3 months, she has seen every type of doctor and had every test, all negative. they want her to start on cymbalta today, but she has read about all these gluten problems that so many people are having. last week she decided to go gluten free, cud's to her, we shopped for everything and she is doing it. out of the past 7 days she said she had 5 good ones and 2 not good. her scale is a 1-10 for how much pain she has in her body. when she has good days the pain is a 1-2 bad days it is a 9-10.
docs have ruled out many things, now i am sitting here thinking some of them could be wrong.
my main question? now that she started the gluten free diet, can she expect to have good and bad days until she is on it for a month? if it is a gluten problem at all?

thanks
If it's gluten, she'll have both good and bad days and it could take weeks-to-months before you'll really know. But overall she should see good progress. If you finally determine that it seems to be gluten issues, then get a test to check her genes. If it turns out to be 'auto-immune' and celiac - not just a sensitivity - she'll have to make very sure she doesn't get hit by hidden gluten and also have any of your children checked for celiac issues. Also check to see if she cross-reacts to casein, the major protein in diary. Many celiacs do cross-react and the symptoms will continue.
I have type 1 diabetes and Celiac. They are both linked to each other it has been studied that having celiac can trigger type 1 diabetes. Well, I am 26 and I have been suffering through chronic pain all throughout my body ver since I was 22 and had my daughter. I believe it is due to both ailments. The pain is serious and there is no way to determine where it comes from and I have basically given up and rely on pain medication to get through the nerve pain. I wish you both the best and hope that she is negative for either and that she gets through the pain, because I know how depressing it can be. Make sure to life her spirits up, try doing soemthing nice that doesn't involve bringing up how her pain feels. It is hard FEELING and THINKING about the pain.. so get her mind off it sometimes. =) best of wishes to you both!
The more I cut out gluten, the MORE SENSITIVE I am when I have even traces.  My reactions are worse.  I've been gluten-free for almost 2 months.  I continue to find foods with hidden gluten.  Eating at restaurants is virtually impossible.  Processed meats like pepperoni, sausage, bacon, some sandwich meats, etc were one of the first types of "hidden-gluten" foods I discovered.

I've had numerous people tell me 3-6 weeks of gluten-free before you feel better.

My energy level is through the roof.  I stopped my birth control and Welbutrin depression meds COLD TURKEY and feel awesome.  Never had this much energy.  My moods have stabilized.  (my depression issues were very mild).