Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
gluten free one week and still bloated

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

gluten free one week and still bloated

Well, according to an endoscopy I do not have celiac. However, my nutritionist advised me to try gluten free diet for about three weeks since I eat cereal and get bloated for the rest of the day.

Since I was underweight she told me to ad more carbs to my diet and more protein. I started my new diet with gluten free products, carbs, like bread and adding potatoes to my dinner. I also got more protein, yogurt and cottage cheese and more cheeses to my diet.

Since I started, I feel that I am not feeling the urge to eat carbs like before, which is good,  but I am getting very bloated. I was thinking about going dairy free, but since it has been only one week, how long do you think I should wait until I go dairy free and see how I feel? Maybe I have to give it my time to the gluten free diet... My only concern is that dairy products give me a lot of calcium and protein and that is what I need now.

The other thing that I thought could be causing me the bloating could be my magnesium supplements that I started to take two weeks ago (for cluster headaches). They gave me hives, and I thought I was taking too much, but I am still constipated and my skin is so soft since I started that I do not know what to think. Any ideas?

Thank you, I am also hypothyroid and in hormone replacement right now.
Hiiii first off I have not been diagnosed with celiac eiither. My primary care gave me the test while I was already in my 3 mths of gluten free (which gave a negative) anyways. ): .. I've been having probs with my stomach since forever lol. But ima keep this short lol. I have been gluten free for about 10 mths now. I won't lie it was the hardest thing to deal with for the first few mths. I also was dairy free. Until about 4 mths I slowly started to introduce dairy products into my gluten free diet.

The reason drs tell you if you try gluten free be dairy free also because side effects of being gluten free is BECOMING dairy free. CONFUSING RIGHT? That's why I'd recommend being dairy free for now. And slowing work it back into your diet. Def keep working on the gluten free you'll be bloated for awhile cuz the gluten is in your system.

How are you feeling? What are your symptoms on gluten intake? How has the diet been working so far.
Also you gotta watch for ingredients in vitamins. Medicine. Seasonings. Pretty much everything lol.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help the best I can :DD
Thanks for responding.

I am not sure how I am feeling to be honest. These last two days I have been terrible bloated after having potatoes and peanut butter later. I have to do very small meals in order to not get so bloated.

I was advised not to do dairy free diet, until I know more or less if gluten free is working, but after three weeks I honestly do not know. I feel though that I have less gravings for bread, pasta, rice and potatoes and some sweets, which is good.

I was thinking about going dairy free later, I have to talk to my nutritionist and see what she thinks about it...I feel also bad when I have a yogurt and ice cream above all.
HI I was reading your question. I have been gluten free for 10 years. In order for your body to heal is to not eat any grains. Not even gluten free. Having a gluten free diet doesn't mean that you eat substitutes. You are stressing your body. So for 8 weeks you have to not eat any grains. Your instines have inflamation (inflammation). So give your body a break. Yes it is hard, but you can eat pototoes, but start to eat vegetables as your carbs. ALso, if you feel it is a bit extreme, eat products that are not not rice based. I read an article that " white rice may still have some gluten leticins that will trigger your inflammation in your intestine. But I feel that it sounds that your intestine needs a break from grain all together. So give yourself 8 weeks without any grains including gluten free grains then after that introduce your body to gluten free products.  After ten years I don't really eat gluten free products. Well, 10 years ago there was not much of choices today. So please consider my option. you will feel a whole lot better. Just remember, 8 weeks of grain free eating. I hope for the best
Thanks for your answer. I thought that an improved in my skin was because of my gluten free diet after a month in it. Because I was traveling I had a little gluten and after that my skin got itchy again. It has been a week and I do not see any improvement in my skin. I feel a little pressured because my nutritionist told me that I have to eat carbs like rice and potatoes. I am not sure what veggies have as much carbs as rice and potatoes. I am only eating gluten free bread since it is the only thing that I cannot give up. I need my  bread. I have also been introducing quinoa to my diet.

I asked my nutritionist and she said that it was okay to have oatmeal...although it says it could be cross contaminated.

She also said that is a near future and if I continue to be gluten free, I will have to  start taking a B vitamin supplement since I can become deficient. Thanks!
I too have strictly given up gluten and dairy for 2 weeks including no grains,  and so many symptoms from IBS to Allergies have nearly diminished but I'm more bloated than ever. Any reason for this? I am a slim male but look 8 months pregants. I don't feel bloated/pain after going gluten/dairy free I just look it. And using a measuring tape I've bloated 3 cm more than 2 weeks ago :-?
I also have been put on a strict gluten free diet for two weeks.  I've suffered from IBS for the past 3 years or so with no resolution being found for this problem.  I stay in constant agony with my stomach.  It's either one extreme or the other.  I've tried every OTC drug you could imagine.  I was even hospitalized for colitis back in April & they never could specifically diagnose my problem.  After a colonoscopy a month later they still said colitis.  So, obviously my colon is inflammed and has been for a long time.  They assumed that I had salmonella back then but I don't know.  They never found the bug.  So anyway my doc just put me on a new med AMITIZA and prescribed a strict gluten free diet for two weeks.  I've been on it for four days and had to take something to make me go last night.  I'm still bloated.  I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about how long it takes to see some results from a gluten free diet and what they might be...
I've had really itchy skin for over a year, random rashes and broken sleep. I've just stopped gluten in my diet and the itchiness has really improved. I'm not a big eater and have never really suffered with bloating until now?
I noticed you posted quite a while ago, but what drew me to your story was that you said you were hospitalized with colitis at one point.  I too had two attacks of something.  Went to the hospital during the first.  They checked gallbladder because it was symptomatic of a gallbladder attack.  No stones so they sent me home.  The second one was two months later and I had horrible diarrhea along with the severe pain.  I did not go to the ER that time because I thought if I could make it through the night, I would be fine like the first time.  I don't know what those attacks had to do with it, but that was four years ago.  I've had multiple tests; colonoscopy, endoscopy, blood, hida scan.  All have come back normal.  Out of desperation to find a cure for the diarrhea I've had since that second attack, I decided to finally go gluten free.  I've noticed a remarkable improvement in the bathroom.  Did you stick with the gluten free diet?  If so, have you found relief?
I've not stayed on the gluten free. I take the Amitiza with meals at least once a day and seem to have improved somewhat. I still have SEVERE pain when my bowels move but I've grown used to it I guess. I've since quit soft drinks and only drink water and seem a little better. I try to eat small frequent meals. I make myself eat something for breakfast, a small lunch, & dinner. Hope you are improving. I feel your pain!!!