Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
high anti tissue transglutaminase level(celiac)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

hello, i was just told my anti tissue transglutaminase blood test can back with a level of 64. i am seeing a gastro dr in a few days. does this level mean i most likely have celiac? i have zero symptoms of celiac...i am very shocked and confused.

opinions??
Cath, it's very likely you do have it. You don't have to have any of the standard symptoms that are listed to have celiac issues. Some people have only a rash, but no GI problems. Or only lethargy, etc. It can present very variably. If you are found to have celiac, do go on a gluten-free diet. The things down the line that can happen in someone with celiac who has constant exposure to gluten can be very uncomfortable and troublesome.
True.  And, the opposite of the test results can be true.  You can test negative and still have celiac or gluten intolerance.  Either way, going gluten free doesn't have to be as big of a nuisance and trial as some make it out to be .  Some of that is about an individual's attitude towards the issues.
It does sound pretty likely that you have it.  My blood test was 95.  The doctor will most likely want to confirm it with a biopsy of the small bowel...that is no big deal though.  And, I have found that the gluten free diet is not so bad.