Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
just diagnosed celiac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

just diagnosed celiac

hi ive just been diagnosed with celiacs i had no idea it was only being tested for anemia i have no symptoms and no understanding of this illness i was wondering if you have no symptoms do you really have to cut out all gluten or can you just cut down also i understood you didnt put on weight with this yet i have underactive thyroid and have gained plenty of weight which i cant shift. i dont know where to start or what to eat any help gratefully appreciated thank you
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks itself every time you ingest gluten (from wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats).  So the answer to your question is "yes!" you have to cut out all gluten from your diet.   Even if you have no symptoms, you might get them in the future if you don't eliminate the gluten 100% from your diet.   My daughter was overweight with the celiac disease.  When she took the gluten out of her diet, her weight dropped off immediately.  I don't know if that will happen in your case - especially if you are having thyroid issues.   And at your age, hormones are dropping to lower levels, which further complicates weight loss.

I will send you a message regarding dietary suggestions.

Hope this helps.

You might be shocked as to how good you feel if you do a two-week trial of eating gluten-free. -I was also hypothyroid and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis -and autoimmune disease of the thyroid. For some reason, it is not uncommon to have more than one autoimmune affliction -like Celiacs (who knows which came first?!?) but the results of feeling better are HUGE when the thyroid is stabilized and your system has had a chance to mend itself.
I had no idea I was sensitive to wheat until I went on an elimination diet. Suddenly my weight began to drop, my joints and muscles stopped aching, my sinuses cleared up, the irregular gut issues calmed down, and the pitting edema in my legs disappeared. Each time I slip up and eat wheat-containing foods, it all returns.
Just so you know, there are TONS of yummy things to eat that have no gluten in them. -I am even making wheat-free bread and pizza crust (I REALLY missed sandwiches and pizza!)
thanks for you reply i had the same thyroid problem and been stable for 3years now but never felt any better or lost the weight so maybe this is the reason i never felt i had any symptoms of celiac but there are such a wide range i just blamed the thyroid and thought id have to live with it so with any luck i might finally after 10 years start to feel like the old me just got to be careful of hidden wheat that will be my problem.  thanks for your help both of you i appreciate it
I was only diagnosed at the beginning of this year. I had no idea I had it either I was having blood tests after my respiratory doctors had exhausted all other tests as they have no idea why I have really bad breathing issues, a biopsy confirmed I had it bad.
I started the gluten free diet about 6 months ago and to be honest I know that everyone says it's supposed to make you feel better but I've gone from having no issues what so ever and not being aware that I had it to being in severe pain all the time in my abdomen, and now I have to take iron tablets because I'm anemic. I've always been underweight naturally and despite following the hospitals advice and their diet plans I've recently started losing weight, I'm not impressed with the diet.
I suggest if you're going to do the diet then the food that tastes best is home made. There's a fantastic book that I've found at a coeliac UK event that uses crushed almonds instead of flour and I must say, the food actually tastes normal.
hi just read your post im in a similar situation of no symptoms and am waiting to see the dietician i did read somewhere that while your eating gluten your body adjusts to it but once you stop and start the gf diet then if its accidently eaten the symptoms can start i am wary of starting it as i say because i have no obvious symptoms and it scares me thinking of all the everyday foods i will have to stop eating and im scared i wont be able to read labels properly and cut out hidden gluten im really nervous about it at the moment but i know im going to have to do it at some point as your getting stomach pain do you think your eating hidden gluten