Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
possible celiac disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

possible celiac disease?

I'm 18 and recently went away to college in the fall. Shortly after I've developed some symptoms that ended up leading me to see a cardiologist, pulmonlogist and a gastronologist . My gastronologist suggested I had an upper endoscopy done which showed my esophagus being red and the biospies showed possible celiac disease. I was wondering with the possible diagnosis what my chances of having this disease were. I've done quite a bit of research about it and it seems like a strong possibility. My dr ordered a blood test to find out what it says about having celiac disease. thank you!  
If you had an increased number of IELs (intraepithelial lymphocytes) and flattened microvilli it's very possible you could have celiac. I hope you're doc is adding the genetic test (allele) to any blood tests he's ordered. As soon as the blood tests are done, start on a gluten-free diet. It's not going to change things immediately, but you should begin to feel better within a few months.

Also make sure you're checked for cross-reactivity to casein - the major protein in dairy. Many celiacs have problems with that.

You may want to talk to your mom, dad and any siblings. They need to be checked, too.
I got my blood test back today, and the nurse called my mom and said the blood results looked normal to her, the dr hasn't read them yet because of an emergency. I don't believe he added the genetic test it just said celiac disease panel. Should I have him order that to be on the safe side because I read sometimes the blood test can be in-accurate and since the biopsy said possible I don't want to take any chances in having a problem and want to finally figure out what is going on. Thank you
Kaylamcknz, no matter what the results of that blood test say, I'd really suggest you start a celiac diet now and see how you do. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do the genetic test to figure out what types of genes you're carrying not only to find out and help yourself, but also to have as a reference for the future when/if you decide to have children.

The blood test can be inaccurate, as can the biopsy. So if there are any 'ifs' in the picture, check the genes.
I had my mom email the results that they picked up from the doctors office and its said tissue transglutaminase (tTG) has been identifided as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstrated the endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99% specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy. everything else looks like its says negative.  I spoke with my mom anout the genes testing and she thinks its a good idea and is going to talk to my dr about it. Thank you