possible to hace celiac dz and have a negative blood test?
Hello forum:

I am wondering if it is possible to have a negative blood test for celiac, but still potentially have the disease?
I know they test for antibodies (I think) on the blood test, and my doctor has told me that almost everyone has at least one of the antibodies regardless of whether they actually have GI symptoms.
How accurate is this blood test?
I am having a lot of symptoms that could be celiac, but also could be something else, such as: soft stools that stick to the toilet bowl and are difficult to flush, bloating/cramps after eating, flatulence, etc. I also have chronic mucus in my throat (somewhat mild, but ranges to moderate occasionally). Not sure if this is seen with celiac dz or not...

It is very possible to have a negative result and still have a gluten issue. You may want to consider trying a GF exclusion diet for several weeks to see if your symptoms improve.
In Australia the 'gold standard' of diagnosis is an endoscopy by a gastroenterologist for diagnosis - and yes I have heard some people don't have a positive blood test but do have celiac when the endoscopy is performed.

For the endoscopy to work you need to be eating gluten. If you have celiac and go gluten free your body begins to heal - which you want, but not before a proper diagnosis. Can you ask for a referral to a Gastroenterologist based on your symptoms? There's certainly indicators that something isn't right.

Also, many people who do have celiac and stop eating gluten get a much more severe reaction when then return to a diet containing gluten. So, if you think you may have it, its easier to keep eating the gluten now and get it sorted now.

Good luck! I hope you get some good answers from your medical professionals.
By no means am I an expert, I've only been diagnosed for 20 days.  But, I do know that I had the basic Sprue blood test done and a Quantitative Immunoglobulin performed about two weeks before my endoscopy, and both of these tests were negative.  But - the biopsy was positive.  I've read that if you were having severe symptoms of diahrrea and vomiting OR not eating properly due to n/v, that the blood tests may be skewed.  So, it may be that type of a situation for you.  I hope this helps.  Good luck!