Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
question for the "experienced" celiac
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

question for the "experienced" celiac

Hello. This is my first time on this forum and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with interferon (chemotherapy) creating a celiac-type condition? I endured 6 months of chemo for my liver, and the interferon caused me to develp an autoimmune thyroiditis (it works by jacking up your immune system enough to kill the underlying disease) and now it seems to have also caused me to become sensitive to wheat. I can eat gluten-containing grains other then wheat, but when I ingest any wheat product (the more refined, the worse the fallout) within 12 hours I have severe gut cramps, explosive diarrhea, gas and bloating. The following day my joints are swollen, my legs get pitting edema, and I hurts unbelievably. This lasts 3-4 days and is followed by constipation. I was tested fpr celiac's once, but the results were negative. I also seem to have issues with absorbing vitamin D. I had pernicious anemia during pregnancy, but no other problems with malabsorption. Anyone experience anything like this? (My liver is just fine now. Perfect enzymes and no sign of disease!)
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I forgot to add, when I have been completely wheat-free for 2 or more weeks, -I feel great. No bloating, edema, muscle pain, etc. Is there something other than Celiac's that can cause wheat intolerace?
Blank
1340994_tn?1374197577
Yes, it sounds like you have a non-Celiac-caused wheat allergy to me.  I think you should do what your body is telling you and consume no wheat.  Watch for other sensitivities, such as to milk proteins or nuts.  
Blank
1340994_tn?1374197577
And I think it helps to realize that the medical "experts" don't have all the answers for each individual.  They have much to learn about food allergies and the importance of diet.  
Blank
Thank you for your feedback!
I have been aggressively pursuing a wheat-free diet (its beginning to get easier with the current "Paleo" diet fad touting no gluten-laden foods). Going GF is not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I even found a nice GF pizza dough mix that works well so I don't miss out on the occasional "pizza night" with my family.
I have got to admit, avoiding the angst wheat causes me is so worth it! Thanks again for your reply!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...