Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
skin itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

skin itching

my skin always itching, specially at my ankles and arms and around my waiste and thigh.  each time i scratch, my skin break out in blisters.  where ever i scratch, my skin will become scar really bad.  Dr. said i have hives but the treatment for hives didn't help me at all.  i have try so many medications over the counter but nothing seem to help me....i itch alot at nite and at times where i don't do anything......
Have you had any changes in bowel habits, or other symptoms?

If you're worried that you may have celiac disease have your doc run some tests, but don't limit it to the routinely used (at least now) tTG test. Use a multiple serology panel which can increase the diagnostic yield. It should probably consist of the following serologic tests:
1. Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG
2. Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA
3. Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA
4. Total IgA level.

The reasons for the use of ‘the panel’ to detect celiac disease is to include selective IgA deficiency (SIgA deficiency), lack of concordance of endomysial antibody and tTG, and to screen for the possibility of seronegative celiac disease.
hi! just joined this forum.. and maybe by now you have figured out what was wrong with you, but please ask your doctor about dermititus herpetaformis (derm-a-titus    herp-pet-a-form-us). at the age of 9 i was diagnosed with celiac disease by the severity of my rash. i constantly got it on my knees, elbows, and waist. now, if i come in contact with gluten, i get the rash immediately on my ankles and all over my feet.
good luck!