Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community
solids and gluten with heightened risk for coeliac disease
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Celiac (Sprue) disease, anemia, behavioral changes and neurological issues, dental issues, diet and nutrition, infertility, gastrointestinal issues, gluten-free recipes, growth issues, infants and children with Celiac, pain management, and skin and dermatology issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

solids and gluten with heightened risk for coeliac disease

Dear Ms *********,

my daughter's cord blood screening came back homocygous for DQA1*0501 and DQB1*0201 which is associated to an early onset and a severe clinical course of coeliac disease.

Our paediatrician suggested to keep her on a gluten-free diet until she will have completed age one. After her first birthday, he will expose her on gluten to see if she produces antibodies and typical symptoms, or if she shows no signs of a wheat allergy. He agrees with breastfeeding, but urges me to introduce solids once my daugther turned six month last December. He is afraid my child could miss essential nutrients from solids - he wants her to be healthy unless she seems to be doomed to develop a malabsorption syndrome once we started the provocation with gluten.

We planned to follow the principles of baby-led weaning. My daughter still has a strong tongue-thrust reflex, she is not able to properly sit upright with support and she is not interested in watching us eating, so we have not started with solids yet. My child seems to achieved every milestone later than "the average kid". I am sure she will be ready for solids soon, so on the one hand, we are are confident to wait a little longer. On the other hand, I am feeling insecuritites. Are we on the right track? Is there a "too late" for introducing solids?

My second question aims at the introduction of gluten after her first birthday. Is there any guideline how to do that? I do not want to overflow my child with gluten to provoke unquestionable symptoms, I do not want to overprotect her either. Do I start with porridge, bread or breakfast cereals? In the morning or in the evening? ... Any advice would be much appreciated.

I would be most grateful if you would look into this matter.

Yours sincerely,
leillani
Is your child male or female?
:  
Female
What is your child's age?
:  
6.5 months
What is your child's height?
:  
74 cm
What is your child's weight (kgs or lbs)
:  
9.5 kgs
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Celiac (Sprue) Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank